tube mic pre - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tube mic pre

Default retro-thermionic - a little late

Quote Originally Posted by Villinus View Post
    ^^it's got line input, unless they don't go through the tubes, but I think they do. You're right though, it's far from affordable
    I just found the forum so my post is behind on this thread, This is one of my many builds (sub-mini tube preamp and portable triode/pentode headphone amp). These days I mostly build tube SET amps.

A work mate is a sound guy for a number of bands and gigs in Melbourne. He uses the sub-mini preamp on the lead singers mic. He uses my upgrade parts and enhancements - and likes the sound.

Take an optic nerve at my blog http://www.retro-thermionic.blogspot.com/

Or try the Mongrel Dog blog: http://mongreldogaudio.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by mwhouston; 08-14-2010 at 03:18 AM. Reason: spelling

I'd definitely be interested in a simple plug and play box that'd warm up my sound a bit. I'm gonna keep tabs on this one.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

*Raises hand*

Quick (and rather n00bish) question. . .

Can't a PreSonus TubePre be used before the main (Sound card => Mixer => TubePre => Amp => Mixer)?
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubePRE/

Just a question. . .

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    I'd definitely be interested in a simple plug and play box that'd warm up my sound a bit. I'm gonna keep tabs on this one.
    Me to, I'd be buying one of these if they become available!
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

Although I'd want it mains powered preferably
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Jo3 View Post
    Me to, I'd be buying one of these if they become available!
    You can get them here from Oatley Electronics in Australia. This Kit has been every popular and sells all over the world. The K272a has a seperate filament battery network for extended life.

http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com/...af7a298724e3b4

If you want one built up with my upgrade parts and supplied fully assembled and ready to go let me know.
    Last edited by mwhouston; 08-14-2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: additions

Nice projects on the blog! How much would you say for your fully assembled and upgraded doobrie sent to the UK? I'm brassic at the moment but maybe in a couple of months?...
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Nice projects on the blog! How much would you say for your fully assembled and upgraded doobrie sent to the UK? I'm brassic at the moment but maybe in a couple of months?...
    For a two channel top-of-the-range-best-I-can-build: AU$350 (200 GBP) all pure silver wiring inside, gold plated RCAs, Alps pot, lithium batteries - 120hiurs of use.

Or I can build less for cheaper.

Tech Mentor

What are the chances I could get a side-by-side comparison of tube vs. digital? I'd like to get an idea of what all the hype about tubes is. Why would I want my signal distorted/enhanced?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nada View Post
    What are the chances I could get a side-by-side comparison of tube vs. digital? I'd like to get an idea of what all the hype about tubes is. Why would I want my signal distorted/enhanced?
    Speaking very broadly SS gear 'tends to produce 3rd harmonics and all odd harmonics there on. Not only that the odd harmonic distortion list extends all the way up the harmonic scale. We as humans find that irritating.

Tube gear distortion 'tends to be even harmonics. We find this better sounding. My Class A SET (Single End Triode) amps (not preamps) have about 1% distortion. And of course it is even harmonics - we (humans) like it. My amps have no negative feed back and very little inter-modulation distortion. This makes them fast and intermit. Also tube amps can deliver far more detail than SS amps (this is a general statement). Also tubes are extremely linear by nature, SS gear very non-linear. So tonal balance with SS gear can sound uneven.

Though SS gear may have .001% distortion we generally cannot hear anything under 5% or even 10% even harmonic distortion but find the music awfull at less than 1% odd harmonic distortion. Tubes deliver rich, textured, detail sound and a musical flow. Why are tube mics so sort after? Rich, detailed natural sounding, that's why.

Class D gear (some times called digital amps) generally do not produce good mid tones or treble but may work well with bass. A tube preamp on acustic instruments or human voice will lever all the detail and warmth out and present the performance in a rich and tonally natural way.

That's how I see it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast