Do controllers really need jogwheels?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Do controllers really need jogwheels?

Ive used technics in the past, and currently use Denon dns-1000s. Im planning (eventually ) on moving to a Traktor/controller set up. Having looked at different options I will probably end up going with 2 Kontrol X1's.

It just got me thinking about design of controllers.

I understand that a lot of people are coming (like me) from a vinyl/cd set up, and therefore like the feel of two wheels, and many people will use them for cueing/scratching etc. But in many ways I get the feeling that Traktor (or other software) essentially can make the wheels obsolete ( if the dj so chooses ).

Just want to get everyones thoughts.

(Also off topic, could i get away with no mixer between the X1's? ie just use laptop fader?)

Personally, I would be uncomfortable without jog wheels, and I have never DJed CDJs or vinyl (OK I have, but a long, long time ago). It is just so natural to beatmatch with jogs. I don't like to use sync, and I use the jogs to time the beats after a drop. And that is both in Itch and Traktor. Fine tuning would be awkward for me any other way.

That said, Ean is apparently working some gigs with two Midi Fighters ONLY. He uses tempo bend up and down buttons (check out the mapping in the Midi Fighter section of the forum). So it is possible, but we work with what is comfortable for us.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I like jogs for scrubbing through tracks and FX's.

Here's a good thread talking about using an X1 as a standalone controller.
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...t=13985&page=2
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I personally use the jog wheels for the pitch bend at this has a much more tactile feel for me and it also helps with the set up of the grids, dropping cue points much more accurately not mention the odd scratch.

Obviously you can DJ without them but I think you are ultimately losing the ability to do a few things.
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Ive got used to jogs with the VCI cus i come from a vinyl background but, when i first started with digital i just used a Faderfox DX2.

I assigned 2 encoders to seek forward/backward in a track (scratching isnt possible) and i was happy with that for a long time.

I guess if you dont scratch and you use Load Markers on all your tracks its pretty easy to DJ without Jog wheels.

All depends on the Genre your playing. If your a minimal kinda guy i guess jog wheels are redundant for DJing but lets not forget that a lot of VCI users use the jogs for FX and browsing and such like.

I dont use the jogs for anything other that scrubbing and scratching. Im to forgetful to have them do anything else. Id end up scratching when i wanna browse and vice versa.

Ive got 2 X1s and you can pretty much do everything on Traktor with 2.

Not sure id be comfortable without a good mixer. Its like my testicles. Even though they dont seem to do much, Im sure it would feel very strange without them :eek:

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Its like my testicles. Even though they dont seem to do much, Im sure it would feel very strange without them :eek:
    Nominated!!

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...251#post133251
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

LMAO Karlos, awesome

Karlos is REALLY bored!

Back on subject: jog wheels are just personal preference. But being a vinyl guy (the OP, I mean), you would have to go through a learning curve without them for tempo bending.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

They are not really needed for Traktor, I think for midi controllers they are a total waste of space, you could fit much more control on the VCI with out them.

I think small jogs especially are a waste of time they are not nice to use so why have them at all? DVS is allways going to be king for 'manual' sync.

They are not really needed for Traktor, I think for midi controllers they are a total waste of space, you could fit much more control on the VCI with out them.
    They've gto the TR1 for that. But for those of us whose brains compute pitch bend = jog wheel, saying they're a waste of space is simply untrue.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast