VCI-100 + Traktor Pro: is a Mixer a good idea?
    Tech Wizard

Default VCI-100 + Traktor Pro: is a Mixer a good idea?

Hey all,

Sorry if this has been covered before, searching didn't lead me to anything that stood out.

I currently DJ using Traktor Pro and my VCI-100, which works pretty well. Recently however I've been considering the idea of adding a physical mixer into the setup.
    I primarily play a lot of Prog. House/Trance, which on the whole requires a whole lot of precise EQ fiddling to get nice blends going on. I've noticed more and more that it's possible the 128 signals that MIDI provides may well not be as accurate and smooth as I first thought, and some nice analog mixing knobs might do a better job overall.

Am I simply creating this situation in my head because deep down I want a new piece of kit? (it's certainly possible)
    Or for those out there who already run a similar setup... do you agree with my observations and have you bought a mixer for similar reasons?

Cheers,
    Nannou

I've been using the VCI-100 for a year. It's nice, but I doubt you'll notice much difference in EQ-fidgiting with 7-bit midi compared to analogue. Beat matching? Yes. But then again, maybe that's just me.

I've felt restricted by MIDI when using the filter, but not EQ...
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

The emulated filter on traktor def. doesn't compare to the xone.

As far as eq's, it might be in my head, but i prefer BY FAR the xone eq to the traktor one.
    A good mixer is definitely worth the money, especially for 4 deck mixing.

Personally ever since I mastered my Xone92, when I don't have it, it's like playing with one hand tied behind my back.

My 2 cents. Up to you.
    OSX 10.6.4 | Traktor Pro 2 | VCi-100 FW 1.4 | NI Audio 8 | Xone 92 | M Audio BX8A Deluxe

Tech Mentor

I think its a good idea to mix externally rather than using MIDI, it gives you a different feel and control over the mix and will enable you to take your eyes of the screen and concentrate with your ears.

I invested in a mixer not only to have more control sound, but also to have more MIDI to play with, now the EQ section on my hercules steel does all my effects allowing me to take traktor to another level and use it more extensively.

Also the VU meters on a mixer are far better than what you get within traktor, which again, is another added bonus.
    http://soundcloud.com/jamesT

Macbook/Hercules Steel/Audio 2

Tech Wizard

JamesT you bring up a good point. Not only do dedicated mixer EQs tend to feel a little more solid (at least in my limited experience).... but by using the gain, EQ, faders on a dedicated mixer it would free up faders/knobs on the VCI to play with effects etc.

I have the same set up & use N.I. audio Kontol 1 for my soundcard. I mostly play Drum&Bass and Dubstep when @ home I just run sound to the speakers, but when out, I like to have the option of a mixer for extra imputs & channels. I sometimes use an Akai drum machine and run Massive or Kore Player for live synths plus a few mics for MC's. Have tried it on a DJM 800 set up before and was really happy with that. I did set the eq's on the pioneer before hand though and didn't mess with the levels much. It worked well I think the Eq's on the VCI are solid, as long as your MP3's or files aren't shit.
    I usually use a portable behringer 8 channel mixer but do all the eQing & mixing on the VCI.
    MacBook 13"- N.I. Audio Kontol 1- Vextax VCI-100 - N.I.Traktor Pro - M Audio BX5A

I would defintiely prefer to runb through an analogue mixer than use the Qs in traktor/on the VCI 100.

The EQs in traktor aren't subtle at all, take it external and it gives you back much better control. Those of us that started mixing on vinyl/cdjs dfefinitely notice the difference from the people i have spoken to.
    Tony the Pony.
    My soundcloud page. House, mainly.

Mixcloud & Website coming soon.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    I've felt restricted by MIDI when using the filter, but not EQ...
    It's funny that some ppl consider the analog filters better given their limitations and error-proneness. (Apologies for replying to a really old post--I realize someone made a sick bump.)