Hate Traktor GUI? (project: skinning Traktor)

View Poll Results: How much dou you like T4 interface?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Treachry, I will not use Traktor anymore

0 0%
  • Yuck, I wanna do something about it

8 24.24%
  • Bearable, I need time to adapt

12 36.36%
  • I like it, it is an improovement

7 21.21%
  • Smooth as silk

6 18.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hate Traktor GUI? (project: skinning Traktor)

I'd like to have a reply here, from people who think that T3/T4 interface is not optimised, non-ergonomic or confusing, read on.

Reason:
    Some lower-quality dj apps. have ability to change or even use 3rd party skins. NI has totally gone mad with a complete redesign of interface for the second time! I can get used to it like I've adapted to T2->T3 change but this made me think of Skinning Traktor 3 and Pro.

Realisation:
    Idea is not to change traktor application itself but create a new one that would sit ontop the existing interface/window. So you have a traktor running and then ontop a new application that covers some/all/half of the controls that u think you would not use or you have a better layout.
    Communication would be done via OSC (open sound control) which Traktor neatly and bidirectionally supports.
    GUI should be customisable so that every user can create his own.
    If not fully customisable in run-time, at least easily customisable in IDE so that everyone can compile his onw version.
    I have some other functionality ideas but they are not of importance right now.
    --
    This is quite a large project and I will need help from every developer that is willing (or you can take this idea and develop whole app on your own). Note that this app as such can and will be used with other music apps aswell.
    Things that should be discussed:
    - developer IDE/Language (I vote: C#.NET 2008 Express or #Develop (both free))
    - OSC library to use (based on language/IDE)
    - GUI Library (should be something neat or a copy of Traktor controls)
    - Additional libraries
    Last edited by ToS; 11-08-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: typos

I think the new interface is better, but could definantly use a bit of tweaking.

However before diving into a new program you should take a look at some of the limitations that will be in place if you do choose to go this route. I am not entirely sure that traktor PRO sends enough information over OSC to make solid enough communication to the interface - i need to do some investigation into this now you bring all this up though as this is definantly an interesting concept.

Edit:

Btw - your missing an option for "im not fussed"

Really with everyone looking at their controllers is there a need for a more complex interface ?(for these people only of course)

All i really need off the traktor interface is to be able to see the wav forms and to make sure levels are alright - everything else is covered by the controller. However if you are using a mouse i could definantly see how the new interface could be a bit of pain.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 11-08-2008 at 10:27 PM.

I agree with Bento... and I also think it would be awesome to be able to "skin" Traktor.

Although it would be a lot easier just to skin Traktor, your idea goes well beyond that "simple skin" project.
    DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin

The ide is to make skin-application:
    - always on top
    - sizeable
    that way you can cover only parts of traktor window, poorly designed parts.
    Shortcuts should be passed to the traktor.
    Code:
    /__PING

/__PONG\0,s\0\0Traktor-name\0\0
    #bundle\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\x1\0\0\0\x[SIZE]
    	/Traktor.MasterVolume\0\0\0,f\0\0?
    	/Traktor.Mix.Play\0\0\0,f\0\0\0\0\0\0
    	/Traktor.XFader\0,f\0\0\x3F\0\x80\x80
    	/Traktor.Deck0.EQHigh\0\0\0,f\0\0\x3F\0\x80\x80
    	/Traktor.Deck0.EQHighKill\0\0\0,f\0\0\x3F\0\x80\x80
    This is just initialisation of traktor-traktor communication (T3).
    I think that should answer your question Bento.
    Ow, just for the record, I am proud owner of selfbuilt MidiBox consisting of:
    (4 channel mixer section, 2 transport controls, 2 shuttle-jog dials, 3 fx sections and a few more). I don't need mouse.
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

Tech Guru

I think before you invest alot of time into this that you actually test Traktor's OSC implementation thoroughly. I was under the understanding that there hasn't been alot of development on that side for a very long time.

Yes, offcourse but before I do that, I want to know would there be anyone else to support the idea. Testing OSC is one day work. And I don't see how bad can it be.
    Have you tried to link two traktors via OSC, and use one as a remote for another(via LAN offcourse). They work, knobs move, buttons are pressed. I don't see if there is anything else that you would need. This won't be just traktor based, HD MIDI can bite me, OSC is a step forward, I don't see how new MIDI can replace it(actually I do, and we are not talking about replacing but that is not the issue here).
    Other apps will benefit from this too.
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

Even though I voted 'Smooth as silk', I am interested how this project will go.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

It would be nice if we could build skins like virtual dj
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

If it was T3 I'd be all for it,

However T pro no longer looks like a DOS app, and I can see the state of everything I'm interested in seeing at a glance.

They have made vast improvement to the layout and interface design, and while I'm sure that over time a few things will start to frustrate me i cannot really see much real advantage from a complex skinning like this.

Like Bento said I really only use the screen for selecting tunes , cueing,
    and looking at loop placement.

Though it is definatley a cool idea!

I find everything being too damn big, it all kind of does not fit on my screen... but maybe I just have a too damn small laptop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast