Who are "The Beatles" of Dance Music ?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Who are "The Beatles" of Dance Music ?

Just listening to the new chemical brothers lp, further... man these guys have consistently made great radio friendly edm forever. I've often considered them to be dance music's Beatles, if such a comparison could be made.

Do you guys agree with me?
    If not, who do you consider to be dance music's most successful acts that garner critical acclaim as well as mainstream appeal, not to mention career longevity?

It's a solid, solid album. Lots of hummable stuff there... and it sounds very Chems too!...

I won't compare them to the Beatles because the Beatles transcended their roots playing knock-off American R&B and made some of the most incredible sounding music... and although Virgin hired a musicologist to prove that it wasn't, I SWEAR that 'Setting Sun' uses the drums from 'Tomorrow Never Knows'.

At the end of the day, with the Chems, you know what you are gonna get. I can't really think of an 'EDM' group I'd stick in the same bracket as the Beatles. I can think of some who are as unpredictable, but none that have retained their mass-market appeal...
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

When the Chemical Brothers started up, they were just a pale imitation of Underworld. And Basement Jaxx were a pale imitation of the Chems. They've all got their own sounds now but of them I value Underworld the most for innovating in so many area.

All of them need to be compared to the groundbreaking done by Orbital - they wrested the concept of the electronic Album from 70's groups like Yellow Magic Orchestra and Jean Michele Jarre and finally made it cool, plus they always, ALWAYS kicked ass live. Idiosyncratic, never following the music style de jour they made their own sounds and experiments. Lifetime achievement, for me, goes to Orbital.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Fat Boy Slim!!

**ducks behind wall**
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Fat Boy Slim!!
    **ducks behind wall**

Oh per-leeze. Superb live DJ, mainly because he digs out the oldies and mashes genres, but music? Hardly.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

To a slightly lesser degree (seeing as the Beatles sold gazillions of records) i agree with that.

The Beatles didnt just create a teen pop boom they then went on to reinvent music in the studio so the claim isnt comparable on any level like that but yeah, they are the defining band of an era.

As much as i love Daft Punk and the are actually THE best thing i have ever seen (and i have no qualms saying that) they are not as universally loved, certainly not as loved as anyone who likes them thinks.
    The Chems have a much broader appeal.

The Chems have outlasted the Beatles by about twice as long and have never made a bad album.
    Live they have knocked my socks of. The same DJing although they have also bored me to tears doing a DJ set .

A lot of people think that Daft Punk where the first dance act to really excite the Indie crowd but i dont think Homework had the impact that Exit Planet Dust did (or maybe even Goldies Timeless).

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Fat Boy Slim!!

**ducks behind wall**
    Shiiiiiit.....

Only thing i like about FBS is his music vid with Christopher Walken.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    although Virgin hired a musicologist to prove that it wasn't, I SWEAR that 'Setting Sun' uses the drums from 'Tomorrow Never Knows'.

one of the chemical brothers tunes that sounds even more like "tomorrow never knows" then setting sun is "let forever be".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTMOSCh7aJU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmpxsk3dHaA

the similarities are uncanny, i think it's a pretty blatant homage (or rip off? haha) to tomorrow never knows.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Over the years they have played many many Beatles songs in the live sets.
    Traditionally finishing on the outro of Sgt Peppers.

But its there use of Willie Hutchs 'brothers gonna work it out" that i love !
    When i first heard this i was like woah i have to have the original of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWbv36m6YSU

@ Karlos TOTALLY agree.

While I won't say that The Chemical Brothers are The Beatles of dance music, I do think that Exit Planet Dust is one of the, if not the best first album by an electronic artist ever. There's only one other that I think comes close. The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast