What's the importance of CDJ's?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's the importance of CDJ's?

I came into DJing in the last two years or so, and still can't figure out why people use CDJ's. Is it the appearance, is it the functionality.

The way I look at it is

Vinyl = being able to play 1 song at a time, rest in a crate
    CDJ Ver. 1 = Play up to 20 songs on each deck
    CDJ Ver 2. = Play an MP3 CD with 100 songs on each deck
    Laptops / Control Vinyl = Play a whole library of music

Sure vinyl is a technique-filled skill. But why do clubs have CDJs still when I can program Traktor to have a full rang of effects and controls on my keyboard?

I think it's just because it's been the standard for so long. Controllerism is still very new. I don't know when it happened but surely it took a long time for the complete transition b/w turntables and cdj's.

Be patient, eventually we will rule the world.

Tech Mentor

It is indeeed a standard, just like 10-15 years ago every club i worked in had technics decks then this is the modern day standard in big clubs is cdj 1000's, and even allot of laptop dj's use them with timecode cd's.
    MBP i7. Denon MC4000. Traktor Scratch A6. DDJ SX Serato DJ.

"Be patient young paduan"
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

CDJs do have their place in DJ history for some good reasons. They have certain features which turntables don't; like the ability to use loops or keylock algorithms. The tactility of turntables is also available, at least to a certain degree.
    Also, CDJ-1000s just look awesome.

I don't use them myself but I can see how some people just find taking a few bags of CDs to a gig more convenient than taking their own controller and laptop. Keep in mind that CDJs are, like turntables, pre-installed in most clubs. It wouldn't make sense to pre-install controllers, of course.
    One of the reasons for using CDJs I do not understand is that notebooks are supposedly not as reliable. This may have been true 5 years ago but I do not think this is the case anymore. At least with a well-configured system stability should not be an issue

Have many people here been knocked back from a gig because they said they need to bring there own stuff? Obviously such as a lappy and/or controller(s)?

Surely if you've sent in a promo and they like it they wont say no to you simply because you have to bring a bit more gear, although certainly some venues don't have a great deal of extra space in the booth. And of course the hassle of connecting mixers to pa etc..

Be interesting to know as I'm soon planning to start looking for gigs..

Quote Originally Posted by zacl87 View Post
    Have many people here been knocked back from a gig because they said they need to bring there own stuff? Obviously such as a lappy and/or controller(s)?

Surely if you've sent in a promo and they like it they wont say no to you simply because you have to bring a bit more gear, although certainly some venues don't have a great deal of extra space in the booth.
    I personally haven't been turned down for using a controller but I have heard of some cases on this forum.
    In any case, you should talk openly about your setup when you try to get a gig. This is especially important as you'll have to make sure you have got enough space and they let you just plug yourself in into their mixer. Also the number of available channels on the mixer is always something I want to know.

With the rise of DVS over the last years it's common for DJs to bring their own notebook and soundcard anyways.

Tech Mentor

Who else sees this possibly leading down a road where soon enough, all clubs have installed is a really powerful soundcard, or even just direct lines to the club's sound system, to free up more room for Laptop/Controller setups? (New "Club Standard" equipment would mean Laptop Stands and possibly Soundcards)

How awesome would that be?
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Who else sees this possibly leading down a road where soon enough, all clubs have installed is a really powerful soundcard, or even just direct lines to the club's sound system, to free up more room for Laptop/Controller setups? (New "Club Standard" equipment would mean Laptop Stands and possibly Soundcards)

How awesome would that be?
    For sure man, I'd love to see like a dedicated spare bench or something, lappy stand and a gang of spare lines for whoever needs them. My number one fear is connecting to a clubs system under pressure.

I think it's a long way off though. Luckily a lot of bigger name dj's are heading down the track of at least using a laptop, if not controllers.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by zacl87 View Post

Surely if you've sent in a promo and they like it they wont say no to you simply because you have to bring a bit more gear, although certainly some venues don't have a great deal of extra space in the booth. And of course the hassle of connecting mixers to pa etc..

Be interesting to know as I'm soon planning to start looking for gigs..
    from what ive seen in my scene im the ONLY person who uses TS and controllers(a herculesMK2&MK1) and its looked down upon for the simple fact that TS has a sync option.
    out here,when it comes to DVS/Laptop usage at least, its SSL or die:eek:
    ive gotten turned down by a few venues simply because i told them i bring my own gear, and sometimes i'd be forced to play on CDJs because of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast