The "what I learned today" thread
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default The "what I learned today" thread

Hi guys,

I noticed there were very few actual mixing technique threads which sort of surprised me considering that should really be our number one priority.

My idea for this thread is to post a small note or lesson you have learned in your day to day practising, gigs, and so on. For example, after reviewing one of my own sets, here is what I learned today(here is a good structure for a post to make things simple: main point lead by a dash and a paragraph below to explain it):

- Turn on keylock when the next track is ready to transition, and keep it on throughout when the track is playing.

I find keylock off generally makes the track sound a lot better and more clear when I am preparing it and setting the bpm before I begin the transition. However I alter my bpm slightly sometimes during tracks to prepare for the next one/increase energy/etc.. With keylock off though, this changes the key DURING the track and makes it sound like crap. So with these small bpm alterations mid-song, it would be better to keep the keylock on because not only would the key remain the same, but small bpm differences won't really change the overall quality of the song.

Not only would we be teaching ourselves with this thread but making sure we remember our own little mistakes, but we can learn other ones as well.

Post your tips/tricks/lessons learned below!

Tech Mentor

just because a girl leaves the club with you doesn't mean she's gonna let you boink her

true story

Quote Originally Posted by n2hf1st View Post
    just because a girl leaves the club with you doesn't mean she's gonna let you boink her
    The first time I read this I got:
    just because a girl leaves the club without you doesn't mean she's not gonna let you boink her

Sorry for hijacking the thread a little. With my last mix I learned that a little overall compression (by recording in Ableton) helps a lot in making your mix sound more professional.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/05/1...best-a-how-to/

What I learnt... always save your settings on Traktor if you change anything to do with controllers or key settings. If it doesn't close down properly then you lose them otherwise
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    What I learnt... always save your settings on Traktor if you change anything to do with controllers or key settings. If it doesn't close down properly then you lose them otherwise
    i have a tsi1 and tsi2, save changes intially to tsi2, run with them a few days if i like i save to 1 if not, reload 1.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Oh right, I learned a simple yet valuable lesson the other day:
    If one of your channels does not output any sound and you have no idea why check your crossfader
    Of course, this mainly just happens to DJs who prefer upfader-mixing but still...

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kreativitit View Post
    oh right, i learned a simple yet valuable lesson the other day:
    If one of your channels does not output any sound and you have no idea why check your crossfader
    of course, this mainly just happens to djs who prefer upfader-mixing but still...
    +1 :d
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Very similar. If one of your channels has no output, and you have no idea why. Check your filter. Sometimes i mix out by slowly filtering out to nothing, and then i forget to reset the filter. The first few times i did this, i went as far as checking connections before i realized what i had done.

Quote Originally Posted by kreativitit View Post
    oh right, i learned a simple yet valuable lesson the other day:
    of course, this mainly just happens to djs who prefer upfader-mixing but still...
    +2000
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Wizard

double check what deck your midifighter is focused on before hittin cue 1 and starting the song from the begining

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast