CDJ into phono... level difference
    Tech Guru

Default CDJ into phono... level difference

So when rocking traktor with the multicores & CDJ's, the TT/CD cable goes into the phono input on the mixer, when using regular CD's the sound is obviously stupidly loud due to it playing through a phono input. What can be done to remedy this?

thanks

Tech Mentor

use the proper inputs... the phono inputs have a preamp to bring the signal up, CDs dont need it. you need to use the proper inputs.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Plug it into the line input?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    So when rocking traktor with the multicores & CDJ's, the TT/CD cable goes into the phono input on the mixer, when using regular CD's the sound is obviously stupidly loud due to it playing through a phono input. What can be done to remedy this?

thanks
    Use the line input.

Wiki knowledge:
    A "phono input" is a set of RCA input jacks, to which a phonograph or turntable is attached. Modern phonograph needles (styli) and phono cartridges output a very low level signal, which is input to the receiver then amplified and equalized.
    Technics 1210 MKII (x2) ~ Pioneer DDJ-RX ~ Allen & Heath Xone 2:02 ~ Traktor Pro 2 ~ Rekordbox DJ ~ Novation Dicer

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Plug it into the line input?
    +1

Tech Guru

I know all this, hence why I am asking on here.... On the multicore cables you have an input labelled "mixer line input" and an input labelled "TT/CD input". Line obviously goes in the line input on the mixer and if you have a mixer with say only 2 channels, each with a line and a phono, the only option you have to plug the TT/CD into is phono input. So if you wanna play regular CD's the level is going to be stupidly loud. So my question(s) is this; 1. what do you do to play regular CD's (not timecode) during a set? 2. why is the CD and TT input on the same cable on the multicores if CD's don't require a phono amplification?

Get me?

get a mixer with more line inputs, its not just a level difference, the turntables need to be re- equalized to get the bass content back, so cd will be too loud, distort and lack high end. you could build a source selector that would allow you to swap the line inputs source
    without having to unplug cables, could cause a massive clunk when you switch over if the channel is active. one of these per line input
    honestly tho, once i had tracktor up and running, i dropped cd's, i maybe use a cd once a month, if its a track thats still on my to rip to mp3 list. one track out of at least 12hours of gigging

Tech Guru

Not gonna buy a new mixer, Im gigging all over the place, makes no sense.
    A selector switch isn't a bad shout but I'm still at a loss as to why NI didn't take this into consideration at the manufacturing stage.
    You might only play 1 CD in 12 hours but not everyone is going to be in the same situation as you. If I'm going b2b with a CD DJ (which is exactly what happened the other night), or if a CD DJ is going on before/after me I need to be able to switch between regular CD & timecode. If I'm going b2b the last thing I need is him leaning over to my laptop to hit the Thru button or constantly asking me to do it.
    If a club only has a 2 channel mixer with 1 line & 1 phono per channel and only CDJ's, there must be a way to go between regular CD's 7 timecode.
    All I can think is to put my line cable into the phono input and turn the output of Traktor right down and the TT cable into the line?

Just as some mixers have switchable line/phono connectors, some also have switchable INPUTS, so you'd have line/line. Under these circumstances your cable paradigm would work. If NI adjusted the line signal to go into a phono input to be attenuated back then you'd have sound quality repercussions...

The solution: select audio through on the deck header in Traktor. This will play your real CD through the line output (no need to connect the TT/CD one), PLUS you can use Traktor's excellent FX on your normal CDs.

Other solution: some kind of switch box that you put both sets of leads into and then into your line in the mixer. This is NOT an NI issue, you DO NOT want a digital output going into a phono input...
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 07-03-2010 at 09:35 AM.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud