I've fallen outta love with my VCI-300!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default I've fallen outta love with my VCI-300!

I love the vci-300 but the sound in a big club running through an ALLEN&hEATH mixer is poor, it distorts easy and I have tried 2 300's and 2 different mixers and it is just not up to the job, I have tried it in 3 big clubs and I am sad to say i feel its best used for house partys and bedroom use.

I plugged in my backup vci-100 via a connectiv sound card and it was miles better and no distortion but alas the vci-300 is dead for me, i might grab an audio 4 sound card tbh and then i will use time code when i dont use the vci-100.

Just out of interest anyone here use a vci-300 in a big club on a reg basis?
    Last edited by mr.raw; 06-26-2010 at 10:23 PM.
    MBP i7. Denon MC4000. Traktor Scratch A6. DDJ SX Serato DJ.

Banned

Sounds to me your issue is with the sound card, not the controller it self. Just scoop up the Audio 4 and use the VCI300 as a controller

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    Sounds to me your issue is with the sound card, not the controller it self. Just scoop up the Audio 4 and use the VCI300 as a controller
    +1

or bring the levels for your software down and compensate on the mixer

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Yeah, I'm thinking you should be using the Audio 4 for sound not the mixer.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Default soundcard

I have tried everything there is with levels and stuff and it only happens after an hour or so, well last night it was more like 20 mins, so turning the vci-300 levels down do not help.

As far as i know you cant use a different soundcard for itch?And using traktor with it is a no no, i tried it and it sucks.

Don't forget i did try a friends vci-300 as well and pretty much same thing happens so i truely think the 300's sound is just not up to the job, so i will be selling it here and on ebay and gumtree.
    Last edited by mr.raw; 06-27-2010 at 09:25 AM.

Tech Mentor

The output of the VCI 300 is a little low, but as long as you set up your gain structure correctly, then it's generally ok.

I work like this;

VCI Channel gains. - Set so just the 1st red led is peaking on the channel meters. (think this is correct? ...i'm at work at the moment). Don't peak any higher than this, as it just causes itch's lmiter to kick in, & that sounds pretty rough!

Main output - dont go any higher than "3 ocklock" on the main volume control. Again, any higher can cause distortion.

VCI 300 output in to a channel on your Allen & Heath, & adjust gain / EQ on that channel as necessary. ....it's worth checking what inputs are available. If you have inputs labelled as both "CD" & "Line" you may find one sounds better / is louder than the other (normally because of different impedences).

Basically, avoid distortion at any stage. Garbage in = garbage out.

EDIT - are you using Itch or Traktor? All of the above is based on using Itch, but the same general advice should apply with any other software. ....I've used itch / VCI 300 on big nights in front of 1500 people, & it sounds great. But you have to stay within it's limits & have a proper understanding of gain structure etc.
    Last edited by thisisian; 06-28-2010 at 05:08 AM.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Tech Mentor

I tried it that way and its just not loud enough for a big club, i matched all the gains in the vci-300 and the clubs mixer and its just so low its not useable so i am selling it and rocking the vci-100 again.

I had a Vestax vai-80 and that was a pile of shit. I would have been devastated if I payed the RRP of it, considering the price of the NI audio 4.

I think Vestax make good quality mixers and midi controllers but as for the sound quality they produce, that's another story.
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

Tech Mentor

Just a quick update on the 300, i had a call at 9.15pm to ask to cover a gig at short notice and as i have not really set my 100 up as i wanted i took the 300 and it did not miss a sound all night, this club was huge and the sound system was amazing, had no problems but still selling the vci-300.

Tech Guru

I love my 300. Grant it, I don't use it to play in big clubs --- but I'm really diggin the direction Itch is headed. I also think with an added controller like an X1, the 300 can do everything the 100 can and more in Traktor.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast