Small-footprint DJ monitor suggestions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Small-footprint DJ monitor suggestions?

Hi, Forum Members,

Sorry for my first post being a question, but I'm in a dubious spot right now and would like some advice on DJ-centric speakers.

I did a search on the forum, but could not find the answer I need. The suggestions were either too expensive or too big. Please help!

To aid in advice, here is a bit of background:

-I DJ a mixture of vinyl/digital
    -Need bookshelf-sized speakers
    -Need very good value (inexpensive) speakers, as wife and I just moved to Tokyo (less than $200 USD)
    -Speakers need not go really loud, as we don't want to get chopped-up by ninja-neighbours
    -But there needs to be enough low-end for proper mixing (tight, punchy low-end, some bassline coming through would be great, too)
    -self-powered would be fantastic, as it would be space-saving to not need a separate amp

Please keep in mind that these speakers are meant for DJ'ing at home just to have fun and to make proper mixes -- not for producing or for house parties. No need for them to be "reference" monitors.

I was checking these out (sorry for the Japanese):

Fostex PM04n

Behringer MS40

They both cost under $200 USD. What do you think of them? Could you suggest anything that would be better for home DJ'ing?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

I found the Fostex very true/pure to sound, but the volume was a little too shortcoming for me.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    I found the Fostex very true/pure to sound, but the volume was a little too shortcoming for me.
    Yeah, but how is it for DJ mixing? "True to sound/flat response" is not one of the requirements. The speakers must be good for DJ'ing.

I was thinking of actually hooking in an EQ just to shape the sound how I want, so that tells you how much I don't care about production-quality sound. I just want to be able to mix kicks, hats, stabs and snares tightly.

Check out the JBL Control 2P's. They're not bad for apartment life.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Str8upDrew View Post
    Check out the JBL Control 2P's. They're not bad for apartment life.
    Great suggestion: the JBL's are self-powered (a consideration of mine) as well as within my budget.

However, another question is: do Reference Monitors (like the aforementioned Fostex PM04n and the JBL Control 2P) really have enough kick for DJ mixing? I'd like to audition these speakers before I lay down any Yen, but what is your opinion? I had a pair of Energy home theater speakers back in Canada before the move and those were really good for DJ'ing. Would reference monitors be comparable in terms of bass?

Thanks again for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by kickFlip View Post
    Yeah, but how is it for DJ mixing? "True to sound/flat response" is not one of the requirements. The speakers must be good for DJ'ing.

I was thinking of actually hooking in an EQ just to shape the sound how I want, so that tells you how much I don't care about production-quality sound. I just want to be able to mix kicks, hats, stabs and snares tightly.
    They will be too soft... sorry... (not many/enough dBs worth)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

buy a stereo system?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    They will be too soft... sorry... (not many/enough dBs worth)
    Drat. I'll try to find a local store to see if I can audition these... I don't need anything too loud, but if what you say is true, then I'll need some other options.

Any other suggestions?

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    buy a stereo system?
    I did think about a stereo system, but what I like about self-powered monitors is that they don't need a separate amp. And in a small apartment in Tokyo, efficient usage of space is key. Also, I've found that all-in-one stereos usually have overkill on the bass: I want tight bass and clear highs. A basic home theater setup would be out of my price range and I'd rather not go used...

Look for one of these stores near you...

http://www.shimamura.co.jp/english/index.html

This is just a shot in the dark, i've never heard of them, or even been to japan. But who knows, they may have something there???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast