minimal
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: minimal

Tech Guru

Default minimal

enlighten me
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

mnml
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Banned

That's more like a heavy techno workout, not exactly what I would call 'minimal'

The real question is, what are you looking to learn about 'minimal' exactly? There's already been a huge backlash against 'minimal' and a large number of the top 'minimal' Jocks and producers have moved on and don't even want to be associated with it anymore. The minimal band wagon has come to a screeching halt and everyone has jumped ship already.

Why do you wish to be "enlightened"? I'm sure you've heard it in some form or another by now and have already formed an opinion about it one way or another. If it's something you liked you would have already done some digging and learned what you can about it even more until you've found a niche in the genre you like.

And if you don't like, what's the interest in being "enlightened"?
    Last edited by Nephew; 07-01-2010 at 02:34 AM.

Nephew is clearly a Gabba fan!
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    That's more like a heavy techno workout, not exactly what I would call 'minimal'

The real question is, what are you looking to learn about 'minimal' exactly? There's already been a huge backlash against 'minimal' and a large number of the top 'minimal' Jocks and producers have moved on and don't even want to be associated with it anymore. The minimal band wagon has come to a screeching halt and everyone has jumped ship already.

Why do you wish to be "enlightened"? I'm sure you've heard it in some form or another by now and have already formed an opinion about it one way or another. If it's something you liked you would have already done some digging and learned what you can about it even more until you've found a niche in the genre you like.

And if you don't like, what's the interest in being "enlightened"?

was just in a mood and was wondering what everyone liked about it oO

dude you're wierd
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

wrong

Side

Bed
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

Mate, that 'heavy techno workout' got rinsed at minimal nights by minimal DJs for years. Not sure what you mean by that term anyway, it sounds like a few annoyed wasps on a bin if anything. We used to call it the 'dripping taps'.
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    The minimal band wagon has come to a screeching halt and everyone has jumped ship already.
    Yeah, they just call it Tech-House now or even hijack the term Electro but still play the same stuff.. at least that's the case around here.
    I'm generally not against one genre in particular but most DJs, Artists and their tracks which belong to these ones are just mediocre and plain boring

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    enlighten me
    M8 minimal is one of the genres I like the most. I like the feel of simple music which holds different elements, all expressed with subtlety. Have you ever read an article or paragraph which explains a lot the same point and keep revolting around it?? Then is when you miss the summarizing abilities of a good writer.
    Minimal techno is kind of the same, you need an excellent producer, with great music sense and understanding to be able to add an element or sound and make it understandable, interesting, dancable and lovable just with a couple of notes and sounds.

If you can hold to simple grooves and hear with attention the different layers you will understand minimal. Then when you understand it you can actually enjoy it and see the work behind.

On the other hand starting producers tend to produce "Minimal" tracks, and this is not because they wanted to, but because sometimes it is easy to produce something that just have blips, bips and a simple drum pattern with no melodic intelligence of what so ever... so watch out for this kinds or tracks... there are lots of them.

I was enlightened several years ago, by whom I consider my great mentor, although I have never met him in person, Mr Ricardo Villalobos is a true minimal lover, producer and DJ, but not simple to listen too... I must say I am not liking the new minimal trends, specially the top minimal tracks from beatport, sometimes they are too techno and banging for me.

Cheers

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast