Buying studio monitors online used

Default Buying studio monitors online used

In my infinite free time at work I have been torturing myself looking at studio monitors online. It goes without saying that buying a pair of decent studio monitors is not a small investment.

So my plan currently is to head out to Guitar Center one of these days and listen to a bunch of ones in my price range (~$150-200 each) and figure out the ones I like best. And then keep my eye on eBay for a decent deal on some that I like.

The thing is, I am extremely wary of buying things used online. As much as I like to trust people, I've been (almost) scammed pretty bad before. Needless to say, it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

But I can't deny the appeal of being able to save $100 or more.

Thoughts?
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

EBay is pretty safe if you pay using paypal.. remember rule #1 though..

Problem with buying speakers is that you don't know if they have been thrashed or not, not so bad if your buying them locally and you can listen to them before you buy. But much more of an issue if you are blind buying.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I don't think I would buy speakers used unless it was a craigslist deal where I could listen to them first.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Used speakers? No thanks man.

Have they been rightly abused? What if they f*ck up? there goes yur $100 saving.

I would buy localy from a decent seller where you can bring 'em back for service.

To me that's worth more than the saving. Sending stuff back through the mail can get very expensive for heavy items, and the wait is looong.
    OSX 10.6.4 | Traktor Pro 2 | VCi-100 FW 1.4 | NI Audio 8 | Xone 92 | M Audio BX8A Deluxe