Quick DDM4000 question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Quick DDM4000 question

The headphone plug looks like it's in a really annoying position, one that would cause the lead to hang over the lower right half of the mixer.. does it?

Quote Originally Posted by zacl87 View Post
    The headphone plug looks like it's in a really annoying position, one that would cause the lead to hang over the lower right half of the mixer.. does it?
    Yeah, it does that. But it's in the same spot as on the Pioneer mixer which you find in most clubs. So it's common to run into that problem. There are right-angle headphone adapters, though. They lift your lead a little

Quote Originally Posted by kreativiTit View Post
    Yeah, it does that. But it's in the same spot as on the Pioneer mixer which you find in most clubs.
    Not really.. In the pio 800 it's in the very bottom left with literally zero chance of that happening. What mixer are you thinking of? I can't imagine why they'd put it in such an inconvenient spot, pretty much turning me off buying one. Do you use the ddm4000?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Yeah that has pretty well put me off buying one of those even though people say for the buck it an awesome mixer. One solution may be to get a short extension and a right angle headphone adapter. Then you could plug the extension into the adapter and tape it up along the side of the mixer. Yeah it's a rig job, but your getting the mixer for cheap anyway.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Hey man,

I personally love the DDM4000. Amazing mixer for how much it costs.

With regards to the headphone jack, I have never had any problems.
    I just had the headphone line coming off the side of the mixer, and thus it doesn't cover the controls.

I run my headphone cable up to the back of the mixer, and then back down the side of the mixer next to my 1200. Works fine.

But yeah. STOOPID place for a headphone socket.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by moomentum View Post
    I just had the headphone line coming off the side of the mixer, and thus it doesn't cover the controls.
    I assume you mean you hinge the lead a bit at the end of the jack? What's the chance of that damaging the wiring in the cord? Good to see you can get around it though.

Care to convince me any further in buying one? Obviously the price is the main point, on ebay at the moment a ddm4000 is pretty much the same as a pio 400 which is crazy. I do love the idea of having more midi options on the mixer for Traktor - and according to some reviews much better midi control than a pio 800.

I think my only criticism so far after a bit of research (other than the headphone jack) would be the tiny buttons they've used to toggle sample length. And how about the low profile square buttons in general for performance?

I'd also be interested to know if there's much difference in bpm reading between the ddm4000 and traktor if anyone uses the two? I know traktor isn't renowned for it's reliability for bpm detection.

Thanks for the input!

Tech Mentor

another question, i'm looking to buy a midi controller for starting to dj - do i need anything else (as in external soundcard) to use the ddm with Traktor? and with which version of traktor does it come, cant seem to find that on their page :/

the ddm looks like a good basis to start and expand on when needed, or did i miss something?

you need an external soundcard to use it as a midi controller you might also want to pickup a kontrol x1 or something of the like :P and maybe an audio 4 if you want to get dvs later on or something. Im thinking of upgrading to a ddm 4000 and 2 x1's soonish tell us how it goes once you've got it sorted

I use the ddm as a pure external audio mixer with two X1s.

The bigass coiled wire on my hd25 always bangs into the high/mid/low switches on either side of the crossfader without me noticing. Which is because I have that part of the mixer disabled (well, midi-enabled which turns the vanilla functionality off), so it doesn't make a difference

@zacl87:
    The buttons are pish for anything performance related. Don't worry about the sample length buttons, they probably feel better if only for the size. The bpm detection is good enough for the internal effects but it definitely is not precise. I wouldn't use it for midi sync and can't stand using it for the sampler, having to pitch bend the sample all the time. So I gave up on that and just use loops or a slicer in Traktor. Ergo sample length buttons == not a problem.

As for bpm precision, Traktor does it much better with only a simple track analysis and is spot on if you've gridded the tracks well, providing the tracks allow it. If you want to play with bpm synced effects, use Traktor's.

I mapped most of the ddm for midi once, it's fun to play around with this way but again due to the feel of the buttons you will want to use other controllers around it to trigger most of your actions and only use the ddm's for a few one-off things.
    Last edited by bumtsch; 07-02-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast