Are digital DJ real DJ's? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    ctrld

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    Im getting a bit bored now of all these 'old skool' vinyl fanatics having a go at me....and anyone else who uses any digital software...saying we are not real DJ's.
    that's normal. with things getting easier and more accessible, those who learned it the hard way tend to get frustrated. I started out with vinyl, then switched to CDs and now I use a DVS and play live... I've heard so much haters talking shit over time, especially oldschool live performers, it really doesn't bother me anymore and they usually shut up when they realize that pulling off a decent performance with digital gear actually requires a lot of skill.

besides, the people on the floor don't really care what gear you use as long as your sound is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciar2001 View Post
    ooh Adidas Gazelle or Puma USA!!!!!!... but yes this is an old debate and dull, I was vinyl for years i quit i came back i now only use a controlled and laptop, i prefer the feel of vinyl but love the freedom of digital, to be honest whoever is giving you a hard time just ask them if they are capable of using a digital set up :-P probably not!

p.s marmite any day of the week fact........ ;-)
    +1

i also defend the sync mode on the basis that i've been mixing 10 years, vinyl, cd and now midi. so i think i deserve to be a bit lazy if it means i can do other stuff

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Convert

Short answer: yes they are </thread>

Long answer: I wrote an essay on this topic about 6 years ago which I still feel is relevant. I've been DJing with vinyl since 1997, and that's why I like vinyl substitution systems (such as Serato). But I've always felt that the technology is a means to an end. Beatmatching is hard for humans to do, but it's NOT the hard part of DJing. The hard part is entertaining people; of watching the crowd, picking music, and making it work. Beatmatching is just a function you need to execute to make it happen. It's something computers find easy - so I'm totally happy to let them do it, as it frees up more time for me to *mix*.

caveat:Obviously that's notwithstanding for proper turntablism. But then the argument doesn't really apply there anyway. Saying that a computer can be a better turntablist than a human is like saying that a car can run faster than a man. Obviously it can, but nobody's going to be impressed by that.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I think we need another poll
    Nah.. we need

RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

hahah More Cowbell!!

Thank you guys, all brilliant points...x

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    hahah More Cowbell!!

Thank you guys, all brilliant points...x
    Samantha, how ever did you get on with using the Serato sound card that day? I never saw your outcome.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    Nah.. we need

http://www.morecowbell.dj/listen?id=CwUVHI
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456