I'm getting a mac. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Recently I got me a 17" MBP i7 2,66 Antiglare 500GB@7200.
    My old Windows Laptop is a 14" 4:3 format so i was going for a 15" MBP, but seeing both models live i realized that 1. the 15" is (or seems sujectively) much bigger than my old one and 2. that the 17" is not that much bigger than the 15".
    So here´s why i decided for the 17":
    1: Screen resolution: I can see the clocksection, FX and the recording panel without switching.
    2: ExpressCard34 Slot: the 17" is the only size that has it (btw my old 14" one had Expresscard54 AND pcmcia, so shame on you apple ...). For now i don´t use it but nice to know I could easily add a SATA controller, additional FW or even if needed in the future an USB 3.0 controller. Also there are SSD´s in the ExpressCard34 format available.
    On the opposite the 13" and 15" modells have that for me absolutely useless cardreader.
    3: Space: okay that not really a Pro arguement but when I pack my Backpack for a gig it doesn´t matter if the laptop is 10" or 17" (but if it was 18" it woulnd´t fit anymore ).
    Also the Venues: I ´ve never been to a place where it had made a difference if the Laptop is 15" or 17".

hey procrastinator thanks for this, im assuming you're referring to space for floating logic windows. I guess this isnt really an issue for me, if im going to have it plugged into a screen on my desk most of the time for production.

Has anyone any thoughts on the difference between 2.4 and 2.66 ghz processors. I'll definitely be upgrading to 500gb 7200rpm HDD and the antiglare screen, so its just processor speed, that I need to decide on.

Thanks again for all your comments, they've been very helpful.

Regards,

RJ x

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

In my completely unscientific opinion I think 8 gigs of RAM would make a bigger difference than .26 in processor power.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    but can it run crysis?
    LOLz
    Quote Originally Posted by kiss-o-matic View Post
    17"
    How can you guys live w/ the reduced resolution of the 15"?
    1440x900 is enough for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Get this:
    Now that's what I'm talking about!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblejazz View Post
    h
    Has anyone any thoughts on the difference between 2.4 and 2.66 ghz processors. I'll definitely be upgrading to 500gb 7200rpm HDD and the antiglare screen, so its just processor speed, that I need to decide on.
    I have a 2.66Ghz, no regrets about it. 320Gbs with 5400rpm is also enough.
    I have not done the antiglare thing. Was at a gig, a mate of us had antiglare. He was not able to make out screen estate on his MBP as well as we were on my non- antiglare.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

sorry at point 1 I forgot to mention which software, i was speaking of Traktor (scratch) pro.

ähhm and if production is your thing i would definitely go for an iMac 27"

Word!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Im still considering an Imac to replace my 1.67 powerbook. Is the current 21.5" 3.33 ghz model worth it? Any thoughts. 27" is just too large to be mobile for me. Is anyone running this model?
    all these colors all this metal all this colored mental .. is just sun.

I don't run the 21.5, but used to run the 20 just fine. The rumor mill is suggesting that the next iMac will be multitouch with iOS4 running concurrently to OSX. Completely rumor at this point, but if you aren't completely sure, you could always wait for the next model.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by kiss-o-matic View Post
    17"
    How can you guys live w/ the reduced resolution of the 15"?
    The main reason I've never had an interest in a mac laptop is the screen res. It's not too hard to find a 15" 1920x1080-ish laptop, but mac doesn't make any of them.

Tech Wizard

next macbook update should be around october or november. the specs that you get on a mac are nothing compared to the price/spec ratio on pcs. take a look at some HP computers for metal finish. though you won't be able to use logic. then again there are plenty of programs you'll be able to use.

i've had a mac mini for over 4 years. ran pretty well, till last week. then the motherboard broke. piece of shit. the cd player stopped working a year ago.

macs look good, but there is a reason people call them crackbooks

i guess i'm just venting. but from collecting other first hand accounts of mac owners, i think mac simply doesn't care about the build quality of their machines.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast