stuck on finishing a track
    Tech Mentor

Default stuck on finishing a track

so like i have everything of sounds but im curious, wud it be wack if i was to get the song to get right into the point from the beginning? and make it short like 4-6min long. like idk? then change it up during the track.

like i have started 6 projects and i just naturally find myself to the point, so then i tell myself "ok lets work on a beginning for this" and then every time i try to work on a beginning for something sick that i worked on, then i get stuck like "oh, idk how to introduce this" etc etc.

now this sick project that i start, its full out with bass and everything, shud that just be considering the beginning maybe, shud i look at it like that, cuz i just always jump on pumping them bars once i work on a new project

so do you recommend that w/e beat i come with then just make that the beginning of the track?

so its like all full out and beginning i guess is how its going to be. and i have heard like 2-4 tracks that start pumping with bass but most songs start without any bass, very quiet, etc. but idk u know maybe im born to start my tracks pumping ? then just work from there?
    2x numark TT's, djm350, and vinyls/records and that's all i use man.

Tech Wizard

it depends.. you could try both, start out with the leading line for impact. Or make another version with a intro style build up.

If you have a great idea for a lead, then I reckon you can be imaginative with the intro, creating an interesting build up to the chorus, etc.

hope you get what i mean
    Macbook, M-Audio Xponent, Akai MPD24, Virtual DJ

Banned

Depends on what the track is going to be used for. If you're trying to get radio play and make it easily accessible for the masses, then just cut right to the chase already I say.

If you're planning to make a single for DJ's to play, then you should arrange the trackas such. Make sure it has an intro and outro at least, everything else in between is up to you obviously.

And when working on a track, I usually try and work on a two to four bar loop, and keep going until I found the groove I was trying to achieve, be it a jacking house groove, or a more laid back hypnotic groove. I usually make this at the very beginning of my arrangement view and then I start the track around bar 60 or so. So now all I have to do is just pick up the parts from my groove at the start and arrange the track from there. And as I'm building it up I'll see what I'm missing as far as effects to help with the transitions and so on, or I might realize I'm still missing something in a certain frequency range and try to fill that space if I think it needs to be.

Also, think you can try and actually use words when typing? It's hard to decipher what your trying to say sometimes.

Cheers and can't wait to hear what you're working on

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    Depends on what the track is going to be used for. If you're trying to get radio play and make it easily accessible for the masses, then just cut right to the chase already I say.

If you're planning to make a single for DJ's to play, then you should arrange the trackas such. Make sure it has an intro and outro at least, everything else in between is up to you obviously.

And when working on a track, I usually try and work on a two to four bar loop, and keep going until I found the groove I was trying to achieve, be it a jacking house groove, or a more laid back hypnotic groove. I usually make this at the very beginning of my arrangement view and then I start the track around bar 60 or so. So now all I have to do is just pick up the parts from my groove at the start and arrange the track from there. And as I'm building it up I'll see what I'm missing as far as effects to help with the transitions and so on, or I might realize I'm still missing something in a certain frequency range and try to fill that space if I think it needs to be.

Also, think you can try and actually use words when typing? It's hard to decipher what your trying to say sometimes.

Cheers and can't wait to hear what you're working on
    thanks. yeah its going to be for dj's to respin & people to dance their ass off to lol =]

its kinda late right now but i think i will find time tomorrow night to listen to a popular track yet very simple track and try to decode the entire track. and write down bars 1. 16 , 2. 8 ...etc etc and also try to figure out the total of sounds he used, also try to break those sounds into groups such as, the 1 shots, and mayb the 2 beat loop which can prob be made from one shots, but also count 4 beat loops. etc this will take time but its similiar to what you have describe, its just i need the big clear picture. umm what i made so far, is 1min long and you can hear below

Banned

Not exactly understanding why you're counting the bars though, but if you think you'll learn from it then go right ahead.

And just listened to your sample. Very techy and german in style and approach, solid groove though. What is actually yours though vs loops/samples you found? Just curious to see how you're approaching this.

Cheers and keep at it, you're on the right track

Tech Mentor

everything except for the bass. the bass is a loop. lol thats funny u said german, because i saw my favorite german dj spin for july 4 here in new york. guido schneider. but yeah i think i should decode another track of my favorite and see all the sounds they use and how they puzzle it, this might help me with my tracks
    Last edited by cutflow; 07-06-2010 at 08:06 AM.

Banned

I wouldn't worry too much about what other producers are doing, just keep working until it sounds good to you. This is the only way to develop your own style I'd say