BeatMasher Latency issue?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BeatMasher Latency issue?

Hey everyone, Im pretty new so don't mind my naivety, but Im having a beatmasher issue and perhaps you can help. Everytime I turn on beatmasher, it takes a few seconds to take affect, generally 1 second to almost 4 seconds, regardless of what timing I have (4/4, 1/16, etc.)

Here is my set up.

Macbook
    -2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    -1 GB RAM
    -Leopard

Traktor Pro v1.2.4
    -Audio in 4, 2 out
    -10.0 ms latency

Controller
    -APC40 (Mapping this thing is a blast. Ill post my mapping soon.)

And No soundcard
    -Im curious as to how necessary a sound card is. Ive gotten really use to mixing without headphones (whats the tech term for listening to your mix in headphones before the audience heres it? Monitoring? Like I said Im new hahaha). If its not necessary then I would rather flip the cash on something else. But some how im sure it is haha.

So my guess is that its either my lack of sound card and 10.0 ms latency setting (anything below that kinda cracks) or my lack of RAM. Im going to buy 4GB soon.

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks!

if it was an audio latency problem then any action you do would have the same delay not just the beatmasher. it might be as simple as tweaking some of the effect parameters within the beatmash.

when in chained mode the masher performs right on time like dropping a 4 count loop.

when in advanced the "GATE" and "ROT" parameters greatly effects how the incoming audio is ..well ....mashed for lack of a better term. I get good results with having the rot nearly all the way down then tweaking it after the effect is engaged. also the Gate will greatly effect things just muck around until you find a preset you like then map that effect and preset to your controller/keyboard

Thank you, I will definitely mess around with chained and advanced and see the difference, but I still don't like how sketchy it acts in advanced. However thats a good point about latency since my delay doesn't seem to be affected. Ill tweak around a bit more...

The beatmasher is a buffering effect, the buffer needs audio in it before it can do anything with that said buffer of music

Tech Mentor

I had the same issue. Try putting the rot on 0. The rot stands for rotate and refers to how far into the four count loop the beat starts mashing, so if it's not on 0 then the beat doesn't start mashing until you get to the part in the four beats that corresponds to the rot setting.
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

BentoSan thanks for replying. I understand that the beatmasher needs to buffer, however, when I see videos of people using beatmasher, the beginning point of the sample that beatmasher creates (the loop), "sets" so to speak, right when they activate it. Its immediate. So say I have it set to 4/4, right when I activate it, beatmasher should sample 4 bars right from that point I set, correct? Like a 4 bar buffer or sample. And I understand the 4 bars are fourthcoming and not 4 bars before I set the point when I activate it.

Well in my case, when I activate it, it takes affect and sets at some random point a few seconds (anywhere from 1 to 4 but always unpredictable) from when I activated it. This makes beatmasher way unpredictable and almost useless because the hits will be out of time and sound sloppy.

So i cant do cool shit like activate beatmasher and do a roll of 1/8 notes on the 4th bar of a measure. :P

Hhahah I hope this all made sense....

Quote Originally Posted by djfletch View Post
    I had the same issue. Try putting the rot on 0. The rot stands for rotate and refers to how far into the four count loop the beat starts mashing, so if it's not on 0 then the beat doesn't start mashing until you get to the part in the four beats that corresponds to the rot setting.
    Thank you for explaining that! Hopefully thats the issue! Ill let you know!

Thanks guys! The ROT was my real problem. So now that its set to zero it works in a much more predictable manner. I feel pretty lame now hahah but appreciative.

Quote Originally Posted by theJetRodriguez View Post
    Thanks guys! The ROT was my real problem. So now that its set to zero it works in a much more predictable manner. I feel pretty lame now hahah but appreciative.
    handy tip; if you run the length 1/16, drop it on the start of a vocal, then twist the rot from 0 upwards, it creates a kind of glitchy bit crushing effect on the vocal, as the rot moves the sample point through the vocal. think that's right, long since abandoned the masher for the slicer

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by theJetRodriguez View Post
    And also, set all your settings for the beatmasher up (e.g rot on 0, gate on 50, length on whatever you most use) and then click the little camera next to the effects unit. This will save those settings so every time you activate the beatmasher the rot and gate will already be at the right setting to start seamlessly mashing
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast