Looking for relatively portable yet powerful speakers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Looking for relatively portable yet powerful speakers

So I travel a lot

between going to school 9000 miles away from home, going on exchange in Europe, its hard to have a good solid setup.

Most of my setup is portable enough...but I'm sick of mixing on headphones or off my MBPs internal speakers..

Is there any kind of speakers that you guys would recommend that is small enough to fly with in a suitcase, but still powerful enough to let me practice on?

Thanks in advance

Tech Guru

I know M audio makes some really small desktop size speakers. I've never used them but they are somewhere between 35-45 Watts which isn't a whole lot but not bad for the size. They were like 80$-100$ for a pair at best buy. Try em out if they don't work out just bring em back.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

What about Bose Companion speakers? I've never really used them, just listened in stores and they sound pretty good.

http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/...-32875917.html

http://www.google.com/products/catal...CAcQ8wIwADgA#p
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I personally stay away from Bose, any company that won't let you see the frequency response of their speakers plotted on a graph is trying to hide some shortcomings in their speakers. IMHO of course.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Guru

Bose: Buy, Other, Sound, equipment.

you dont need to see the freq response graphs to know they are not good. Just look at their recommended EQ settings, and when you see that they suggest boosting certain Frequencies by 15 db!!!!

Tech Mentor

any tips on how to judge a small ish speaker's output?

Most speaker specs should give you a SPL rating of 1K=+4dbu @ 1 meter from the speaker for loudness (ie. 105spl at 1m) and should give you a frequency response chart for it's response from 20hz to 20khz + or - a few db to show you where it may "dip" across the frequency spectrum. If either of these is not readily available when you look on their site, I'd recommend passing. That being said, you're the one buying the speakers and only you can decide whether you're going to be happy with them. Listen with various types of music that you're familiar with, if possible. I know that you're looking for someone to tell you "X" is perfect for you, but there's no right or wrong answer here. Speakers are very subjective and great DJ's and producers can make even "weak speakers" work for them by knowing their "mixing evironment". That's why Yamaha NS10's are in almost every professional studio, not because they're the best, but because they're "average"
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Mentor

Look at some powerful studio monitors?
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I agree with all of that, but the op wants to put them in a suitcase. Are there any studio monitors that equal the size of the Bose companions?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I guess for mixing it is not that important to get a 'flat' response, though. Plus, monitors can be quite large. Maybe some (good?) powered computer speakers will serve you well..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast