Why, in your opinion, don't people wear ear plugs? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Ignorance, plain and simple. Lets face it, MOST people who DJ just don't know enough about this shit to really tend to it.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sj03w4t View Post
    I've worn earplugs the last couple of times going out, and it feels great. No more peep in your ear! Plus you can just talk at normal volume to anyone wearing plugs, because they'll actually HEAR you! no more screaming from 10 cm's
    The first time I wore earplugs out it felt great. I started talking to people at normal voice level cause I could hear myself talk again. They were all like WHAAAT?? SPEAK UP!!!

Yes I definitely plan on looking into this topic more.

All DJs should watch "It's All Gone Pete Tong". Then maybe they'd listen.

im starting to wear my custom earplugs lately - im starting to hear a very faint ringinging noise in my ears (only at night time before i sleep or after a club gig or something) and it worried the shit out of me - its not really there when i dont try to listen to it, but when i do try to hear it its there (the very faint ringing noise) - doesnt bother me too much now but it made me realise that maybe i have been listening to too much loud music or go to too many clubs without earplugs in the past , and kinda made me paranoid

Does anybody else have this? just curious
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

ctrld

@zilch: sounds like a tinnitus. don't overdo it now, take a break from clubbing and DJing if possible (if not, get the best earplugs and strongest filters you can afford). remember that tinnitus is not only caused by loud music, lots of stress can do that to you too. you gotta take it easy for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by faeruithir View Post
    There must be a way to make people want to wear ear plugs.
    yes, there is. you have to scare them. it's the only method that works.

if you own a kaoss pad 2, do the following in a club:
    - set the effect to 75
    - turn the fx volume all the way down
    - place your finger in the upper right corner of the touchpad and activate hold
    - now slowly reduce the input volume and turn up the fx level CAREFULLY
    (when I say "CAREFULLY" I mean "don't move it more than a few millimeters")

the kp2 effect 75 is a simple synth - in high pitch, it sounds pretty much like a tinnitus. maintain your poker face while doing this, keep banging your head as if everything was perfectly okay. turn it back off after a while; you want to simulate a tinnitus, not cause one.

I promise you most people will be scared shitless and think about their health after this
    Last edited by ctrld; 07-07-2010 at 07:34 AM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post

I just realized this post may have made me sound like an old man. Oops.
    Not old, mature!

Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post

@zilch: sounds like a slight tinnitus.
    +1, wear your earplugs. I've been looking at getting a pair of these http://www.bigearinc.com/home/Default.aspx I have a friend that is the Oklahoma rep for them. I would think an enterprising individual could get set up to be a rep as they're all independent I think. You can make custom molded earplugs on the spot for people and headphone earplugs can be ordered from the mold.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Is anyone else feeling this:

An educational tune, a cross between 'Sunscreen' and the 'Charlie says' education vids (older UK readers will know what I mean). It can be a banging house track with long breakdown with the 'tinittus sound' in the middle and a 'serious voice' saying something like:

'I can't get no sleep
    And I need to get some rest,
    I confess, I don't wear earplugs
    Yes, yes, it was me I plead guilty
    And on the count of three I listen to the whine
    Of the tinnitus frequencies
    Caused by the def-jam
    When all the speakers went bam!'

And drop back into the banging house. You could use that to push your product.

Someone get Faithless on the line. Someone give me lots of money. Someone have the Sugababes washed, oiled, and sent to my flat. I'm a frickin' genious.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by DJZILCH View Post
    I have it too. Normally it goes away after a (few) day(s), but for the last year it's here to stay. You know about hearing damage but I didn't expect it would go so soon. Remember, no hearing aid will ever solve a tinnitus. Once the little vibrating hairs in you ear break off, they grow back one more time. After that it's over for the rest of your life.

Nowadays I always wear hearing protection to gigs and festivals. First used the cheap ones with filters (bought for like 10 euros) but now I have custom earplugs with flat response (200 euros). I must say it's one of the best investments I've done with my health in mind...
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJZILCH View Post
    im starting to wear my custom earplugs lately - im starting to hear a very faint ringinging noise in my ears (only at night time before i sleep or after a club gig or something) and it worried the shit out of me - its not really there when i dont try to listen to it, but when i do try to hear it its there (the very faint ringing noise) - doesnt bother me too much now but it made me realise that maybe i have been listening to too much loud music or go to too many clubs without earplugs in the past , and kinda made me paranoid

Don't freak out just yet. It may have been an underlying condition that you may have had already that you just happened to notice more as you thought about the noise/tinnitus.

I have mild tinnitus that has been there forever. Some people just have it.

The only way you can tell if you have hearing damage induced tinnitus is to see an audiologist and get a hearing test. This will tell you if your tinnitus is due to damaged hearing. I took a hearing test and my hearing is completely fine. But I still wear earplugs anytime I'm mixing or in a club.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    What?
    lol, my favorite first response to ANY earplug debate.

In my experience I've been better about wearing ear plugs to BIG events in which I know that I'm going to be 1.near a big system and 2.want to be as close as possible. I do not like the ringing in my ear from going unprotected the whole night so I do what I can to prevent it, either from wearing just those ugly little orange spongy ones or putting in the made for musician ones that really only drop the decibels and don't distort the sound, I know it's an investment for my future so it's well worth it.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post
    lol, my favorite first response to ANY earplug debate.
    It took a while, but now I get it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast