about drunk ppl talkin to u when u play in the club - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

what is the actual definition of a 'trainspotter' ? are those the people that try to stand beside or behind you to see and critique everything you're doing? or is there another meaning to that term?

i dont know what that term means, but i do have those ppl behind me sometimes. "hey dont forget to boost the bass, hey what does this button do? is that traktor? where's your turntables? why dont u use the cdj 1000, they're right there and they're so much better.

Trainspotter is a person that is looking at every record that you play and writes it down. A friend of mine had an idea to make a record label which should have been called "Trainspotters Nightmare" with the label only saying that, all labels being the same color etc etc.... what a nightmare!

Anyways, a trainspotter originally is someone who spots trains.. search it on Google, find the wiki, and then replace train with vinyl and you will have a funny read

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    Trainspotter is a person that is looking at every record that you play and writes it down. A friend of mine had an idea to make a record label which should have been called "Trainspotters Nightmare" with the label only saying that, all labels being the same color etc etc.... what a nightmare!

Anyways, a trainspotter originally is someone who spots trains.. search it on Google, find the wiki, and then replace train with vinyl and you will have a funny read

so a music 'trainspotter' is someone who takes note of the tracks being played by the dj... is that a negative or positive thing to label someone?

I mean, if the trainspotter is a dj as well and rips off your mixes, then yeah, i can see that as being a negative thing...but possibly someone who is just interested in the music could be termed as a positive thing?

or do they 'spot' train-wreck mixes . ..

According to Urban Dictionary

Trainspotter:
    "A person who can sucessfully identify obscure music a DJ plays. A hardcore trainspotter can take it a step further and identify the source of obscure samples. "

re: people beside, or behind you watching your every move when mixing....

how do you guys feel about that? - some people dont mind, while others find it annoying, just like how someone would be standing over your shoulder watching you work on the computer...

would you ever tell anyone to kindly move 'over there' cuz they're crowding you? - or is it something that should be accepted by the DJ?

Quote Originally Posted by EYENSEE View Post

how do you guys feel about that? - some people dont mind, while others find it annoying, just like how someone would be standing over your shoulder watching you work on the computer...

would you ever tell anyone to kindly move 'over there' cuz they're crowding you? - or is it something that should be accepted by the DJ?
    Id take it as a compliment that someone wants to watch the mix, unless they are being a hater about the setup - then id tell them where they can shove it. If your doing some cool stuff on a computer then people are going to want to see whats going on, on the screen. I certainly dont see the harm in it someone watching unless they are getting in your way, you could allways ask\motion for them to give you some room.

I was actually watching part of someones Ableton set at a Doof last weekend, i asked if i could watch for a bit and he was more than happy for me to check out what he was doing. I wasnt taking notes on tracks, just getting a look at how someone else uses Ableton.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 11-12-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EYENSEE View Post

I think, for me, it depends on the people. Some people just sit back and watch and are curious and respectful and ask when I'm done. I've had guys sit over my shoulder and just stare and ask questions when I'm obviously working. Usually I just take my space and as long as they don't bother me I don't say anything. If they start getting to me I'll tell them "Look, I'm busy." If it keeps happening I tell one of my partners/promoters... if it KEEPS happening I get security. :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Walidism View Post
    the aabsolute worst is when they don't know what they want and ask what i have in my library? like im fucking uploading some tracks to your ipod. the funniest is the dudes who are like man my girlfriend wants this song she'll love you forever... ok when can i fuck her?
    LoLz
    Native Instruments Kontrol S4
    Apple Macbook (OS/X 10.5)
    Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz (3MB L2 cache)
    2GB PC5300 DDR2-667

Quote Originally Posted by djxsquizet View Post
    But usually i will be like yea I will work it in the mix but by then after the next couple songs they forget so I am good to go.
    I have a tendency to forget whatever was requested too.... but that's usually cuz I'm drinking.

Anyhow, that's where I sort of like playing at raves. I've never ever gotten a request at a rave.
    Myspace: B33SON
    Myspace: B33 Events
    Facebook: B33SONB33
    YouTube: Mix Competition

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast