2x X1 Setup w/ analogue mixer

Default 2x X1 Setup w/ analogue mixer

I have been thinking about upgrading from an all in one setup ( Reloop digital jockey 2 ) To a semi tradition setup which encompasses digital djing and analogue mixing. Ide like to know peoples experiences with this setup ive seen some people on here using it and some other well known DJ's like Richie Hawtin. Whats it like without jog wheels would it be worth grabbing 2 turntables just for beat-matching and cueing? Thankyou guys in advance

I think the general consensus on this board is that 2 X1's and a mixer is a cool setup, but leaves some holes. Like cueing (you mentioned it) and you have to 100% rely on your beatgrids. I think getting TSP with two turntables isn't gonna be too much of a luxury to add to that setup. Or maybe add a vci-100..

Tech Wizard

you could add something like the eks x-5 for the jog wheel and pitch fader. Bit cheaper and more portable than a vci

For straight house and techno use on more than two decks I find there is not much need for an extra controller. In fact it's not jogs I miss but extra buttons (need to setup some stuff on that lpd8!).

For fine tuning cues, or beatmatching if you wanna do it manually, there's always the option of changing the mapping and/or exploring the midi layers as you do have two endless encoders per unit that come in handy for that.
    I use mine as coarse and fine tempo adjustment on the midi layer with the fx select buttons above for deck selection.

I had a xone 1d before, I missed the jogwheel for about 2 days until I finally converted to mostly using sync and set all the hotcues where I need them.
    With the X1s, If I need to cue in an odd spot I can jump to that beat quickly and quickly set a short loop to rock that cue for me thanks to the great standard mapping if needed.
    If there's an odd track for which the grid just can't work (fluctuating speed) I either use the built-in tempo/pitch bend buttons, or most of the time my much more precise mapping of the encoders in midi mode to keep things tidy.

Vinyl control is sweet and all, but all things considered, shelling out extra for an audio8 + tsp upgrade + turntables and having to worry about calibration, skipping and other mechanical issues plus even more possibilities for wiring issues just seems counterproductive to me, and indeed, a luxury.
    IMO it amounts to adding more points of failure just to get tighter manual syncing, which is achievable with endless knobs, in a tighter package. Faders feel better visually - you know where you are - but there just aren't that many devices with 14bit faders.

If you have the moolah lying around for it and don't mind all that (do think it through), then be my guest and get yourself some timecode action
    Last edited by bumtsch; 07-08-2010 at 01:34 PM.

How about this for a sick setup: 2x Xone 1d + 2x X1 for ultimate control + external mixer + A8DJ

@sj03w4t : Xonetacular, get out of this body
    -
    I'll probably end up getting an A8DJ at some point, just to get better sound and some proper inputs to record my sets without having to hookup to the other pc (which I always forget)

Quote Originally Posted by slangemenneske View Post
    @sj03w4t : Xonetacular, get out of this body
    -
    I'll probably end up getting an A8DJ at some point, just to get better sound and some proper inputs to record my sets without having to hookup to the other pc (which I always forget)

and on topic (for a change)
    yes 2 X1's would be sick. but love my vci too much...

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Guru

I had this set up. 2 X1's and Xone 42. Also had two TT 1200's. It was awesome and fun - but sucked for portability and hooking up. Sounded AWESOME though. For straight EDM its great, for anything that requires changing pitch without faders it sucked. I prefer to play open format so I got rid of this set up. No jogs doesn't work for me. I would prefer something more like a DX. I think this is a great mix between a mixer and two X1's with some jogs.

The X1's are great - I even started using them with the VCI-100 for a while and it was (for me) button and knob overkill. I think they are great, but I need jog wheels to use them. Since then I've changed out alot of my gear but still kept one of them. You can do a lot in Traktor with just one X1.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

@slag i play mainly electro house and hard dance mainly edm i think you've sold it to me. Like you said you missed the jog wheels for 2 days i think they might be a luxury we've all just become accustomed to.

@Crank adding 2 or even 1 eks xp5 would mean that i could have just gotten 2 xone 1d's for the jogs instead of forking out another 500 just for jogs and a pitch fader would rather fork out 500 for a pair of rokits

@sj03w4t i get what your saying about the timecode it probably would be a waste of money with little gained

I suppose i could grab 1 xp5 or a controller of the sort and map it out so i can swap controls over the jog to 4 decks.

The lack of a pitch fader i find isnt much of a problem i think buttons can more finely tune pitch than any fader i think the jog wheels would be missed but ide get used to it

Thanks for all the help guys