Ever think that a EDM's producers fame causes...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Ever think that a EDM's producers fame causes...

This is something I have always had in my mind ever since I got into the music world 4 years ago playing guitar. Learning to play guitar helped me see things "from the other side of the table" if you may. I realized how some songs were SO easy to learn, yet bands made a killing over them.

The same train of though transitioned when I got into EDM last year, but with some differences. Here is my question: 1)do you ever think that an EDM's producers fame causes a track they release to be famous? and 2)that they are only making these tracks because people like them?

***NOTE: I am not trying to start an argument. I will be using some producers for examples. What I say is MY personal opinion. I do not mean to offend anyone.***

Here are a few examples.

1) Deadmau5. Now don't get me wrong. His tracks are chill and some are great. But do any of you think that some of his tracks would not be famous and known if he didn't release them? One track I would like to take into consideration is "The Reward is More Cheese." Great and unique sounding track. But what if a producer that has only released a few tracks and no one really knows released it? Would it be as famous that if mau5 did? On using mau5 for my second question. Ever since he released Ghosts n Stuff, I have not seen much change in his style of producing. This sometimes makes me "feel" that he is making similar tracks because that is what people like and that is what sells. Which I believe limits the personal wants of exploring new sounds he may or may not have.

2) Afrojack. Here is another. While I am reinforcing everything I feel about mau5 on him, there is one thing I want to note: he is relatively new in the EDM scene. Now, while most of his songs sound pretty much the same and his "sound", in my opinion, is declining (it was more of a fad in my eyes), I will say this: if he keeps on making similar tracks after dutch house and his sound declines, he will have my respect. Why? Because that shows me that her is making those tracks because he likes the way they sound. A lot of people liking them as well is just a plus.

Hopefully this won't start any arguments. I just want to get everyones thoughts on my questions.

So, your thoughts?

-Gianmarco
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Its just the human machine, its how it works.

Were chained to the world and we all gotta pull - Tom waits

This dosnt really bere much relevance, however I like it! what was the question again?
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

Banned

As for bands creating simple songs that got popular, they didn't get get popular because of how difficult they are to play, they got popular because they're catchy and they are catchy because they are simple. Any monkey can learn to play an instrument, but not everyone can write music.

As for a song being popular because of who made it, that can be cut a number of different ways.

First off, if you have a producer who keeps churning out the same track all the time, then it's going to be hot with the purists honestly. So some one might skyrocket to fame because that's the "in sound" but they won't stay there long.

Then you have the artist who is too cool for school, who made some hot tracks at the start of their career and are now making what ever they want because they can, and people keep buying it to be cool and keep up with the image of said scene.

Then you have the genuine artist who does make quality music and is always evolving and not following trends but setting them. But they may not have as much commercial success but that's not why they do it, they do it to gain the respect of their peers and to keep on pushing themselves forward.

Tech Guru

1)
    yes. there is a correlation between successful marketing and successful record sales.

2)
    yes. career musicians who've recently found success in a certain audience will generally try to please the audience that supports their newly successful careers.

open shut case here man, court dismissed.

At what point did you actually think that track sales and artist popularity WEREN'T intrinsictly linked ?

The first couple of tracks an artist release, often hit a popular vibe, but after that, with their name known, they have a much easier time of it.

How many bands have you heard say they were able to make 'their' album after the first 1 or 2 commercial albums that the record label wanted them to do...

Its been this way since forever.
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Yes.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

its definitely all about that one track. afrojack was a no-name before pon de floor. 10% who know about afrojack newest productions, probably don't know about "thief" or "claudia" which were his first releases..

same thing with yolanda be cool this year. =)

Tech Guru

also, scientific studies conclude that bears do in fact shit in the woods.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

And the Pope does indeed live in the Vatican.
    Although I hear he also has a caravan on Lake Garda for the summer holidays ;-)

ctrld

1) duh.
    2) du(e)rr.

the moment you start making a living with your music, you either set trends or jump on them so quickly that it seems what you copied was your idea.

only a handful of people in the EDM scene are what I would call "artists". but this issue has been around long before most of us were...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast