rekordbox data format

Default rekordbox data format

BefoI use Traktor, but it's conceivable that some rekordbox data would be nice. I do not want to manually enter my tags twice. I've already done them in Traktor. I installed rekordbox and took a peak at the data file, which is unfortunately binary. I'm also assuming encrypted. Anyone have any confirmations of this?

Seems you can import tracks or m3u playlists. However, rekordbox doesn't seem to support the track name/artist/etc tags that iTunes makes. So, has there been any attempt to make rekordbox play friendly w/ other stuff?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Dunno much about Rekordbox but i do know that Traktor writes 'Proprietary Tags" that other programs cannot access or read.

Rekordbox wont be able to read your Traktor tags.
    Im surprised that it doesnt read iTunes tags though.

I did some dicking around w/ both today.

The only thing goofy I see w/ Traktor is the "AUTO_ID" tag. Apparently this is not totally necessary to display a track in your collection. In fact, when you record something, once recording stops Traktor adds the track with minimal t ags, and no Auto ID and it shows up fine. I actually wrote an application that reads the collection.nml file w/ the idea to export it to some other format. I was able to read them just fine but other than rekordbox, right now, don't need them written to any other format, so that's on hold.

rekordbox: Unless I'm mistaken, everything is stored to datafile.edb, which is definitely binary, other than the values of the tags, which is a bit of a head scratcher... and also quite disappointing. Even assuming it's not encrypted and can be easily read, it's probably a bit more cumbersome than I'm willing to bother with right now.

Im surprised that it doesnt read iTunes tags though.
    Indeed. They're basically assuming you're only going to use rekordbox. Aren't they pushing the latest firmware as being friendly w/ Serato? You'd think they wouldn't have such a bitchy protocol.