Vinyl, CDJ or controller?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Vinyl, CDJ or controller?

So I have been talking to event promoters who told me that using a controller is not sufficient for bigger events. They argue that the sound quality is not a good, and I assume that it's not as "cool" to be using controllers. The optimal gear are vinyls whereas CDJ's are almost equivalent.

What's you guys take on this, and what am I, as a digital DJ, supposed to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Walkman View Post
    the sound quality is not a good
    [rant]
    well that is fucking bollocks!! for a start!!

the sound quality will be as good as the quality of the encoding of the tunes you use. cdjs can kick out shite signal just as easily if the user has got all his tunes from questionable sources.

however, some sound cards have a better sound than others to, as long as you've got a decent one, again, the sound is not a fucking issue!!!

this 'promoter' that told you this is a giant knob, with his head wedged firmly between his butt cheeks!
    [/rant]

chances are he has a some kind of problem with controllers. you just need to prove his sorry arse wrong. what his is opinion of sound quality based on?

i'd recommend when you hand a cd to a promoter that you don't initially mention the controller. let the disc blow them away, then casually mention it after they book you. also get a disc to this guy, maybe via someone else so he doesn't realise, and wait and see what happens

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Nice rant brad...

I'd ask said promoter to take the pepsi challenge blind folded...

buy a song off itunes and burn it to cd.

Test a) play song from burnt cd on cd deck

Test b) play song through decent sound card (audio 2 or above)

If he can pick it out 5 times out of 5 then offer to play free for a month.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Guru

what am I, as a digital DJ, supposed to do?
    Find out where his car is parked, whip out your crotch buffalo, and wank a load on his drivers side door handle.

Problem solved.

Tech Wizard

Well the argument was that the vinyls use expensive amplifiers and therefore sound better. But as I said it's not only the sound that was mentioned, it was the whole image of using a controller that he supposedly didn't like. And I have only once seen a dj use a controller and that was a very small venue. Which I don't understand at all. So it's looked down upon in the music scene - I guess because you can sync your songs with controllers and thereby they believe DJ'ing looses its essence.

Have none of you never run into these accusations? And has it stopped you getting gigs?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    Find out where his car is parked, whip out your crotch buffalo, and wank a load on his drivers side door handle.

Problem solved.
    Awesome!
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

So I have been talking to event promoters who told me that using a controller is not sufficient for bigger events.
    Tell him to eat shit and die.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Tell him to eat shit and die.
    *thumbs*

Seriously though that's retarded on their parts. Kind of like people who criticized the internet before it came out.

Yeah seriously thats just bullshit... Every single promoter that ever gave me a hard time and said no to me djing with my Controller i made sure i explained to them what i can do and how it isnt what they think it is...

lol they have this mind set of what something is and wont shift it for anyone so you have to sometimes like push it and prove it

I got them to come to a gig of mine that i played with or made them listen to a mix i did etc and in the end they end up accepting it as a viable tool/instrument to play with in the clubs

Seriously though just don't give up
    Last edited by Midi Kids; 07-12-2010 at 09:43 PM.
    Gear: Macbook Pro 13" , Traktor Scratch Pro, VCI-100 Arcade, PIONEER HDJ 2000, CDJ 400's, Audio 8, Midifighter

What instrument you play with is your own bis - pick what YOU believe is right, then fight for your right to party

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast