Do you have to use the club set up or take your own???

Default Do you have to use the club set up or take your own???

so a lot of clubs use serato... can u take your own set up... do you guys recommened it.... how bout traktor... and is there a pay difference.. if u take ur own set up....

?? have u ever seen a dj at a club bust it out.. with any other midi controller.. like the numark control..
    Last edited by SS714SS; 04-21-2008 at 03:29 PM.

Tech Wizard

I don't know about these things neither because on the privat parties I "played" I took my Numark Total Control and my computer as you can imagine.
    But I have a question: You for sure need a license for the songs you play, but can you play them if you bought them just normal as everyone does as a CD or over beatport.com and those sites? Or do you need a special license to play certain songs?

P.S.: Does it happen (often) that someone with mp3s that he doesnt have a license for (downloaded) gets controlled? I can't imagine, but playing mp3s without license is not really professional i think.

Thanks for answering

1) Take your own gear. Laptop(of course), midi control, sound card, extra cables. And if you havn't checked available power outlets at the joint, take a power strip and extension cord to be safe.

2) You need space to put all this crap! I would invest in a small rack to stack the laptop, sound card and midi control. I use the Stanton uberstand. There are other laptop stands that are cheaper, but I think the uberstand is rock solid for my needs. It also folds up and slides into a nice zipper cover too.

3) Whats this license thing? Is it like my drivers license with a picture on it?
    If your playing at a place that asks for your license to play your mp3's, damm you must really good and at a popular venue! But yeah, I think I read it here, DJ's not being able to play music if they don't have proof they bought the music.

Anyone here been asked for their mp3 playing license? and if you have, where at?
    Last edited by Mike Damien; 04-21-2008 at 09:16 PM.

Tech Wizard

No it's not like a drivers license.
    If you buy an mp3, you've got the license for it, that means you are a proofed owner of the song. If you download mp3s illegally, you don't have the license (the proof that you bought it) for it. That's as far as I know, and it's like with films, that you are allowed to show them privately, but in the public, you have to pay some more money - in Germany you pay the money to the GEMA, a company that works for the music/film business and allowes you for a certain amount of money (not that much, but much enough for some people not to pay it) to play music in public.
    I just wanted to know if it's the same in a club, if the club or you have to pay some money for being able to play songs in public.

I have recorded my entire vinyl collection to mp3...I don't want to lug my entire library with me to prove I bought the music...This would suck big time.
    Last edited by Mike Damien; 04-22-2008 at 08:33 AM.

i think its time we interviewed a intellectual property attorney to find out the real answers!

Tech Wizard

in north america so far its been a fee which has been paid by venues.(to the best of my knowledge) in canada there was a try at getting dj's to pay a fee for playing digital audio but due to lack of support of that program, it has never been enforced. i was asked once in the us if i was a licensed dj, but that was about it. i asked a few peeps about it but the closest i had come to a legit answer about a dj license was the one for wedding/event style dj's. the problem here is i am part of various musician groups and i am booked as a musician in live act venues,its just the equipment i use and the media i play is in the form of digital audio. never got asked about it back in the day of pc trackers and vinyl, but for me so far it hasn't been an issue. break out the 8-track police.

Tech Wizard

...wait back to the original question...

i always bring my own.i've been doing it forever. showing up to shows in the past with just records and relying on the mixer at a club to work or the needles to actually be there or borrowing headphones is just plain gross. my rider is simple, 2 fully working technics 1200 turntables, easy access to adequite power, and pay before i play.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

At the club I regularly spin at, whether I am spinning on CDs or my laptop we bring our own equipment. I usually spin at dingier, cheaper clubs in Manhattan that don't own any of their own gear so we have to provide it. If they do have gear it sucks... bad.

It's taking a while for the smaller clubs to catch up to the technology, and I don't think they ever will. I bring my own cables, (and connectors), my own headphones... if I ever get back into Traktor Scratch and find a venue with turntables I'll have to bring my own needles, cause lord knows I'm not going to trust theirs. In fact, I like to rely as little on the club as possible, as this has screwed me in the past with broken power strips and bad... really bad mixers.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall