Dubstep BPM's and mixing
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Dubstep BPM's and mixing

So,
    I just found out at this minute that Dubstep is usually in the 140 bpm range, but sounds like 70 because of the half steps. I've been keeping all my tracks at 70 BPM. I feel kinda dumb.
    So in my mixes my sets usually start with mixing dubstep with low bpm hip hop to get things going, and it sounds great. Only thing is now that I know it really should be 140 bpm, If I were to re correct the beat grids on tracks for 140 bpm, how would I then be able to mix this stuff with hip hop and hip hop acapellas?
    Not sure if I'm making the most sense here or asking the right question, but help would be appreciated. I never knew I was so confused about the sound of a genre.

Id map the /2 and *2 beat-grid buttons to your controller so you can easily move the tempo around to mix in half time, or if you want to mix it with some higher tempo EDM then you can use *2 to get it back up.

Its that... or mix it manually

Or just leave it 70BPM and remember if you want to loop a bar, your going to use the 2 beats loop function and not the 4 beats loop function.

Tech Wizard

Ok sounds good, thanks. I was sure it was an easy fix like that, I'm actually happy knowing I can mix it at higher bpms, because people my age (college student) go nuts for dubstep so it's nice to have some later in the set.

When you say loop function, you mean use 2 beat loops to loop a bar correct? Just making sure I read that right.

Tech Wizard

i would take the traks and beat grid it to 140 if they are 70......so you have more functionality out of your effects.....also 140 bpm....is like 70.5 bpm......so if you have a 72bpm track, the equivalent is 145bpm.

its really your choice......the only reason traktor is showing 70, is because the autogrid function. turn on the metronome in traktor....and it should click in 140bpm all the time.

ctrld

Quote Originally Posted by xbubbax View Post
    140 bpm....is like 70.5 bpm......so if you have a 72bpm track, the equivalent is 145bpm
    I'm sorry, but could you elaborate a little on the math in that statement?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

i would take the traks and beat grid it to 140 if they are 70......so you have more functionality out of your effects.....also 140 bpm....is like 70.5 bpm......so if you have a 72bpm track, the equivalent is 145bpm.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    Yeah I'm a little confused to.

its really your choice......the only reason traktor is showing 70, is because the autogrid function. turn on the metronome in traktor....and it should click in 140bpm all the time.
    If you have the master clock set to auto the metronome will click at the speed of the track playing. If Traktor thinks the track is 70 bpm the metronome will click 70 times in a minute.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    i think it might be to do with the subtle inaccuracies in bpm readings? i can see the logic, but it is dubious at best

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

also 140 bpm....is like 70.5 bpm......so if you have a 72bpm track, the equivalent is 145bpm
    Ok thats news to me ? Are you sure ?

Im pretty damn positive if your track is at 140.00 and you play it in half time that its 70.00

ctrld

Tech Wizard

whoops im sry i mean 70.14159265358979323846264

gotta love math jokes.

yes sry that last post was in err.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast