Anyone here good with FTP?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

Default Anyone here good with FTP?

Made a flash animated/interactive website, well messed with a bunch of stuff and threw one together but for the life of me can't host it.. I know how to host HTML sites using godaddy and filezilla, basically my question: is there any trick to hosting flash sites?

Tech Wizard

No. No tricks involved in the hosting part.

Just embed the swf into html and upload all the files. (Flash has the option to create the html automatically, or you can swfobject).

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Does everything work when hosted on your computer? Does your hosting provider support flash? I think different hosting providers have different levels of hosting, some of which don't support flash. Your not trying to view it on your iPhone are you?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

i don't get what this has to with File Transfer Protocol?

+1 on embedding in html page

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

ctrld

I think he's looking for a free hoster.

theoretically you could upload the swf file and embed its new online url in the html, then upload the html file and link to it. but I think spending a couple of bucks on a hosting service is definitely the better alternative

FTP is sometime a synonym for FTP site.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I think different hosting providers have different levels of hosting, some of which don't support flash.
    Flash is executed client side. (opposed to PHP, Asp, .net, java etc. which is run on the host (and therefore will need a host supporting the specific scripting language)). So for flash the host will only need to host the file and serve the html. Hence all hosts that allows you to upload files (that'd be just about all, never heard of one that doesn't since that'd be kind of pointless).

Go to hostgator, buy a cheap server, embed the .swf in a html file, and upload the html file as index.html to the root folder or base folder of the server using filezilla. Easy stuff!

get opera web browser and get the web server add on, only works when opera is running though....

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    get opera web browser and get the web server add on, only works when opera is running though....
    But then the domain is an issue and the speed will suck... Just pay the $7 a month that it will cost you with hostgator or godaddy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast