I need the advice of the controller users...
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default I need the advice of the controller users...

First off, thanx for taking the time to read my post. I've been lurking around the DJTT site for a few weeks now while I try to decide what gear to buy. I'm a first time DJ but long time musician and using an controller to interface with software just seems natural to me based on my background in computers and my work with Pro Tools.

I've been looking at the NS7 and was almost sold until I stumbled across the VCI100 Arcade. I'm really unsure what direction to go in and I would really like some people who have used 1 or both to tell me what they feel the greatest strengths and weaknesses are. I was thinking about picking up the NS7 and a Launchpad or a VCI100 Arcade and a MIDI Fighter.

The things that are attractive to me about the NS7 are the spinning platters for scratching and the over all look. I know far less about the VCI100 Arcade, but I love the arcade button mod and I know that Traktor allows for 4 decks and 8 cue points, where ITCH only allows 5 cue points and 2 decks. My biggest concern about the NS7 is its size and finding room for it in a DJ booth when I finally get there.

Please lend me your expertise so that I get the right gear.

Never used either one, but I've used serato on occasion and I definitely prefer Traktor, there is much more, IMO, that you can do with Traktor as opposed to Serato. Also another thing you want to keep in mind is that the NS7 has moving platters, this sounds like it may be more prone to breaking compared to the VCI-100 that has no moving parts, except for the jog wheels that you move yourself.

If I had to chose between the two, I would go for the VCI-100, because it's more portable, and the moving jogwheels aren't really that big of a deal to me, seeing as how I spin EDM. But if you're looking to spin hip-hop, then I would hands down recommend he NS7. but keep in mind that the NS7 has EVERYTHING built into the unit, so you don't have to worry about using more than one USB slot for it, whereas, is you get a VCI-100, and a Midi fighter, you'll need an audio interface which can sort of be a pain because most laptops don't have more than 2 USB ports, and thus you'll need a usb hub and you'll just end up having a shit ton of wires all over the place.
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

What kind of style are you playing?
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    do you plan on scratching?
    do you like pineapple on a pizza?
    i assume you're leaning more towards traktor?
    pineapple on pizza is the tits isn't it?
    do you plan on using 4 decks?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

The thing with the ns7 is that it's vinyl emulation is almost like a turntable, but not quite the same. If you looking for something like a turntable, the just go with a real turntable, there is no substitute. Save yourself the money and get the VCI and a decent audio interface. Then you got the whole launchpad or midifighter thing?? I love my launchpad, and i can't imagine how i ever got buy without it. On the same level i loved the midifighter clones i built before DJTT released theirs (I haven't got an real one yet, but i have played with a friends). Both are amazing controllers, but they serve somewhat different purpose's. So decide what you need out of your setup and try to decide based on that. As for me i want both, so i'm hoping that i win the new contest and get 2 new midifighter's, to put on either side of my launchpad.

I'm not sure yet. I like Hip/Hop and some EDM, but not really into the underground EDM stuff. I just want to mix stuff that sounds good and get's people dancing. Probably as mobile DJ at first because of the connections I already have as a musician and then into clubs hopefully. Seems like most clubs around here do some version of top 40.

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    do you plan on scratching?
    do you like pineapple on a pizza?
    i assume you're leaning more towards traktor?
    pineapple on pizza is the tits isn't it?
    do you plan on using 4 decks?
    I'm not sure If I'll scratch, seems like a technique that I would want to have. I play bass and while I don't use the slap technique on every song, it's a good tool to have.

yes I like Pineapple on my pizza.

I'm not leaning any particular way right now.

Pineapple on pizza is the tits, i agree.

I don't know about 4 decks right now, but again, it's another tool and I don't like the idea of being limited in some way. I'm sure 2 decks will be enough to keep me busy at first, but the option of 4 is nice. Though, since ITCH just introduced a 4 deck version for the new A&H controller, I imagine it's just a few software patches away from being widely available.

Scratching will take some time to get right enough to use out.

Mobile will give you lots of time to practice tho! much more forgiving than the Club scene i think!

I would go with a VCI-100 Arcade and a decent Sound Card (Audio 4 or 8 DJ).
    Once you have gotten that down , mixing on 2 decks, then you can start incorporating samples using a launch pad or Midi Fighter....or get a turntable and use that for scratching.

Its a process...like you know obviously....having to have learnt to play your bass and move forward!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbox4u_6 View Post
    yes I like Pineapple on my pizza.

I don't know about 4 decks right now, but again, it's another tool and I don't like the idea of being limited in some way. I'm sure 2 decks will be enough to keep me busy at first, but the option of 4 is nice. Though, since ITCH just introduced a 4 deck version for the new A&H controller, I imagine it's just a few software patches away from being widely available.
    cast your vote for pineapple; http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15904

and it sounds like it's going to come down more to budget

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Scratching will take some time to get right enough to use out.

Mobile will give you lots of time to practice tho! much more forgiving than the Club scene i think!

I would go with a VCI-100 Arcade and a decent Sound Card (Audio 4 or 8 DJ).
    Once you have gotten that down , mixing on 2 decks, then you can start incorporating samples using a launch pad or Midi Fighter....or get a turntable and use that for scratching.

Its a process...like you know obviously....having to have learnt to play your bass and move forward!
    I notice that your sig shows you rock the VCI100 and 2 TT's. Do you run that as one live setup or is that 2 distinct setups?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast