Annoying CPU problem

Default Annoying CPU problem

Randomly, yesterday, my computer decided that it wanted to stop functioning correctly.

In FL Studio, the sound will just cut out, and the CPU meter will shoot up to 100% for about 60 seconds before dropping back down. Even if I pause/stop the audio, the meter stays right where it is.

So I thought, hmm. Maybe it's a hardware/soundcard problem. Nope. I disconnected all usb devices and used the standard drivers that I've used for years. Same problem.

Checked my latency. Set it super-high. Still same problem.

The only other thing I can possibly think of is that my laptop is about to kick the bucket. Any thoughts?

(Oh yeah, I also went through and turned off all potential CPU-draining programs and processes).
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Are you running a demo version of toxic biohazard or some other FL plugin recently added to your set?

I can remember that in demo versions there are audio dropouts every 2 mins or so.....

If it isnt that, sorry i couldnt help you

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    The only other thing I can possibly think of is that my laptop is about to kick the bucket. Any thoughts?
    Back up EVERYTHING. NOW. Just in case that's actually the problem.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Tech Guru

Id check the BIOS and see what the temperature readouts are, there could be a bad contact between the CPU and copper heatsink and whenever it goes into a workload, the heat ratings spike and cause lag out until it cools off (which could explain why it takes 60 secs to work again).

Perform a low level hardware stress test with Eurosoft Syscheck. Let it run for one cycle (approx 4 hours or so pending on RAM amount, CPU, HD size, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator View Post
    Are you running a demo version of toxic biohazard or some other FL plugin recently added to your set?

I can remember that in demo versions there are audio dropouts every 2 mins or so.....

If it isnt that, sorry i couldnt help you
    The only plugins that I'm using are the same ones that I've been using for at least a few months.

It isn't just the kind of audio drop-out that demos software demos cause. It's kinda like if you tried to run FL on a Windows 95 computer 15 years ago... Audio latency hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen_Insane View Post
    Back up EVERYTHING. NOW. Just in case that's actually the problem.
    Good call. I backed up all my music projects for now. Everything else can be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    Id check the BIOS and see what the temperature readouts are, there could be a bad contact between the CPU and copper heatsink and whenever it goes into a workload, the heat ratings spike and cause lag out until it cools off (which could explain why it takes 60 secs to work again).

Perform a low level hardware stress test with Eurosoft Syscheck. Let it run for one cycle (approx 4 hours or so pending on RAM amount, CPU, HD size, etc).
    Hmm... that's a good idea. I did a quick search on google though and I can't find that software anywhere...
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

I have had that problem before.
    Usually was the result of Native Instruments VST's
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .