Typhoon jogwheels sound problems while on headphones mode (STRANGE)
    Tech Convert

Default Typhoon jogwheels sound problems while on headphones mode (STRANGE)

HELLO geniuses of DJ Techtools,

i got into mixing about 2 or 3 months ago and i must its pretty awesome so, due to extremelly high prices in dj decks i decided to go all digital (and cheap) and 2 weeks ago i got myself a Vestax Typhoon. It looks great, it feels nice, although it could have more effect knobs and buttons and the buttons could be better i must say that for the price is a pretty good choice.

BUT, since i got it iv been experiencing a problem that is driving me insane i been looking at millions of help forums but have seen nothing related to this problem im having and i got to record this mix urgently cuz i got somewhere to play.

the problem is the folowing, when the crossfader is all the way to deck A and the headphones mode is on on the deck B so i can browse through the song everytime i turn my jog wheel it does this horrible interference-like sound, on the headphones it sounds completely normal, but it comes from the speakers this horrible sound just by even moving my jogwheel a little bit to locate the part of the song i want to go. At first i thought it was a software problem so i tried with traktor LE and then tracktor scratch pro and the traktor pro and the problem seems to presist. Also if i repeat the steps about to browse through a song while on headphone mode but instead i use the mouse there is absolutely no problem... ONLY the jogwheels cause this horrible sound.

PLEASE help if u can im going crazy i dno if this is a problem with the typhoon or something else, i just got this and im DYING to use it please i would really apreciate your help.

thanks

i just discovered that is why i am editing this post that its not only the jogwheels that cause the interference sound problem... Basicaly any knob or fader i touch while both decks are playing it causes this stupid sound (and again if used by mouse no stupid sound comes)... PLEASE HELP HELP YOU GUYS AAAAAA
    Last edited by Zoetrope; 07-12-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: More problems have appeared

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You will probably have to give us some more information about your system (computer, OS, any other programs running, USB hub, etc.) and which Traktor mapping you are using, but I'll try hitting a few obvious things.

A few things to check:

- in Traktor Preferences>Controller Manager, choose the Typhoon from the device list, then make sure the In AND Out Port are also set to Typhoon (could be called Vestax, but my Spin is called Spin and the VCI-100 is called Vestax so its one of the two!).

- in Traktor Preferences>Output Routing, make sure you have the Monitor set to channels to the headphones and the Master to the speakers. They could be backwards.

- in Traktor Preferences>Audio settings, what is your latency. It should be around 5 to 10 ms. Start with 10 and see if it gets worse when you drop to 5.

- what USB cable are you using? The one that comes with the Spin is OK, so I imagine the one with the Typhoon is the same and just as good.

Thats all I can think of without knowing more about your set-up. Let us know if this helps and ask any more questions to get yourself up and running.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Convert

thanks for answering !

okay so i checked everything that you told me to do and everything was already the way you said it in the settings, when i changed the latency it even got worse and the cable that im using is the cable that came with the typhoon so im guessing thats the right cable.

So im running Windows vista 32 bit on my PC, the computer could be worse but honestly i dnt even know the brand but its got great processor (if that helps), currently i am running Traktor Pro version 1.2.4 (the most recent i think), im usin the sound card ASIO4ALL v.2 thats on my computer and not the soundcard thats integrated on the Typhoon because my speakers cannot connect directly with the Typhoon because they are computer speakers, and the whole monitor and master i got it sorted out also.

really normally i spot the problem but this one is just really lookin a bit too mysterious :S

OK, sounds like you need to do some optimization on your system (very common with PCs). First thing is turn off all unused functions (wireless, bluetooth, ethernet, etc.). If that does not work, you will have to do more optimization.

Look for nem0nic's comment in this blog article(http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/06/2...-macs-and-pcs/), he goes through the extensive optimization he does. Start with the simpler things, but ultimately you would want to do the full bore if you are going to do any serious play out. BradCee is also a good resource for getting your PC to work well, if he doesn't hop on the thread, send him a PM.

Sorry there isn't a simple answer (plus I'm a Mac guy), but maybe the PC guys can find something simple that I don't see.

Phil.

Tech Convert

at you least you tried man... THANK YOU SO MUCH
    i just hope i can get ready for my gig soon enough

Just found this little gem from Jester: Game Booster. It shuts down all your background function for when your gaming, but for you it could be for when your mixing. It's worth a try.

Phil

I know you've probably checked for this, but do you have CD mode on? or do you have the FX turned on? Sometimes when I leave the Gater FX on (even when it's at 0%) it'll make a buzzing noise in the background.
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

if it happens when anything is touched, i'm thinking dodgy wire somewhere?

have you got any way of hooking it up using the internal card of the typhoon? maybe borrow a mates hifi or something to test it? as my next thought is maybe a clash between the computers card and the typhoons?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Convert

whoaaaaa guys thanks so much for all the responses

PHILL the optimizing was too complicated for me so i just moved the latency ALL the way to 35 and it works fine, the only thing that affects is the size of the recording size when i wana make mix tapes (does it affect anything else?) will DEFINATLY try the Game booster buddhabless man

BMO ya iv cheked that too but the thing is that the sound only occurs when somethin is activated and i just hate the gate effect so its not on for sure haha and the CD mode is off (that good?) THANKS also for widening my possibilites of fixing this

BRAD im gona chek the dodgy while but i dont think it has anythin to do with that and YES at first i thought it was because i wasnt using the typhoon4all soundcard i just thought i was being dumb haha THANKS ALSO MAN

ima meditate and see if this thing gets finally fixed once and for all
    or probly is just somethin dead simple that im overlookin :P hope not tho...