Laptop powers up but wont start !!??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Laptop powers up but wont start !!??

Hey everyone ,

I recently posted a thread about getting a new laptop and after doing a couple hours of research I decided I was going to fix and upgrade the laptop I have right now.

Its an ACER aspire 1520 ... I got it around mid 2005ish ... It came with an AMD Athlon 64 CPU , 1.8ghz and 512mb RAM. It sat around not doing much for a couple years.

But - I've been using it as a general all purpose workhorse for the past 2 years or so leaving it on for days at a time downloading , ect ...

At some point it started to randomly shut down when doing CPU intensive tasks like playing video games or streaming videos off of the net like youtube and spankwire ) lol ...

So I did some research and found that its more than likely overheating and seeing as my fan was still running it was most likely due to the thermal grease drying out and needing to be replaced.

So I bought some of the Artic cooling remover and also the artic 5 silver thermal grease compound. I applied it and sealed the computer back up.

Fired up the computer and all was well ... I decided to run M.U.G.E.N. (fighting game) seeing as this seems to crash my comp the quickest and it ran fine for a solid 40 or so minutes ... CPU was running at 100 percent pretty much the whole time but the comp didn't shut itself down cause the temp didn't rise high enough to do damage ... So I shut the game down and decide that i'm now going to REPLACE THE RAM.

I had bought 2 1gig crucial ram sticks to put in my comp , they're the right kind and compatible ... So I put in the 2 ram sticks , close it back up , flip over the laptop and hit the start button ...

The green light around the power button starts glowing ... The little lightbulb icon on the screen starts glowing but there is ABSOLUTELY NO SOUND or VIDEO SCREENS firing up ...

Its like its paralyzed and wants to run the power through the comp but nothing else is reacting ...

I replaced the ram with the Single 512 Ram stick I was using 3minutes prior and the same thing ... light around power button turns on but nothing else goes ... I have to hold the power button down for a good 3+ seconds before it'll the light will shut back off too ...

What do you think happened?
    All we ever have is now ...

Take some pics of the ram that you took out, then the ram that you put in.

Try to get a decent enough picture of the labeling so we can see what type of ram you were using and the new ram you put in.

I had done a quick 45min research job to check and double check that the RAM was right so it should be working ... it looks a little bit different but the major numbers match up ...

OLD RAM is on the LEFT ... the samsung.

Also - I ended up attempting to run the computer with no ram in it at all and it did the same thing ... green light around the power button lights up and nothing else ...

All we ever have is now ...

Hmm well you certainly were right about it being compatible - this problem has me stumped. I have put alot of computers together in my time but never have run into this problem.

Only thing i can think of is reseting the BIOS settings by locating the appropraite jumper on the mainboard - even then i am not sure if that would help.

Maybe there is someone else on the forum who can work out what i am overlooking.

Do you hear any beep codes after you turn the power on?

Trying system restore?

Worst comes to worst reinstall your os?

if neither of them work...you have a hardware problem.

maybe check to see if the fan inside is still workin.
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

Metaverse:

1. Take off the battery
    2. Take off the RAM (Memory)
    3. Turn on laptop (Without RAM)
    4. Instert RAM back in. Turn laptop on
    5. If laptop turns on without battery, shut it down.
    6. Insert battery, and turn laptop on.
    DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin

Tech Mentor

Is there clicking from the hard drive when you start it up?
    Maybe coincidentally your screen crapped out after doing all that. What happens when you put just one stick of ram in? When you applied the thermal grease, did you put too much of it on? I'm not too familiar with this stuff but maybe that might lend itself to more ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    Metaverse:

1. Take off the battery
    2. Take off the RAM (Memory)
    3. Turn on laptop (Without RAM)
    4. Instert RAM back in. Turn laptop on
    5. If laptop turns on without battery, shut it down.
    6. Insert battery, and turn laptop on.
    after step 3, you should hear those beep codes i'm talking about.

if you don't hear them again after step 4, then it isn't a ram issue.

you try plugging in an external monitor? maybe something came loose from your lcd...

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    Do you hear any beep codes after you turn the power on?
    Completely forgot about the beep codes - they tell all !
    Last edited by BentoSan; 11-13-2008 at 10:21 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast