Laptop powers up but wont start !!?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Completely forgot about the beep codes - they tell all !
    SOMETIMES...people pass of the beep codes as nothing. They don't think they mean anything...it's just the computer booting...

Like I said...SOMETIMES...you never know, that's why I ask!

I know it is probably not going to help you at all, but my MBP would not boot with one of my External HDD's attached to it, it just stood there looking stupid. I also had the same problem with one of my USB Sticks. Probably cause there is some conflict of MBR or something, hell knows.

The system beeps tell you everything, and you can read in your manual what they mean.

One means no RAM, another sequence means some other failure. Often ONE beep (I think in ALL cases) means "Everything A OK". Some laptops have system beep off if everything is OK so that you dont hear that anoying sound (which is actually a very good hint to what is going on with your machine).

Hope you get your laptop fixed!

Nemo

Tech Wizard

Try only with your old ram, if it stards then its your new ram.i had the same proplem and my new ram was dead.
    -dIm-
    - Acer5050 Amd Turion 2Ghz 2GB RAM - Echo Indigo Dj - Audio DJ 8 - VESTAX VCI-100 SE - Ecler Nuo 4 - X-Session - Trigger Finger - Korgkaoss Pad Entrancer - Korg MicroKontrol - Novation25SL - 2 x Tec1210.
    Dj software - TraktorDj 3.3 - Traktor Scratch 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by -dIm- View Post
    Try only with your old ram, if it stards then its your new ram.i had the same proplem and my new ram was dead.
    He said he tried his old ram - thats what was really weirding me out about this problem. I really dont think its bad ram. Unless on the very unlikely situation that he bought bad ram, and when he took his original ram out he damaged it, leaving him with nothing but bad ram - the chances of this happing is realllly slim though.

Bad motherboard?

Its happened to me, Drove me crazy for months
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

Guys:

On most laptops you will most likely not hear the beeps.
    On many models, you need to remove the battery to work on the hardware.

Acer, Asus, Sony, Toshibas are prone to this... I know, since I work everyday with these...

P.D - Did you ground yourself before working with the laptop?
    DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    He said he tried his old ram - thats what was really weirding me out about this problem. I really dont think its bad ram. Unless on the very unlikely situation that he bought bad ram, and when he took his original ram out he damaged it, leaving him with nothing but bad ram - the chances of this happing is realllly slim though.
    Static electricity. Unless you're properly grounded you ALWAYS run a chance of messing up your ram...or anything else with a circuit board.

Nemo:

The reason you MBP did not boot, was probably because it was trying to boot from your external hard drive... PCs also have this option, and usually come enable from factory along with LAN boot. You can easily disable this option...
    DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin

No beep codes ...There's no clicking in the hard drive ... i'm going to try some of these other methods and get back to you ...
    All we ever have is now ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    Static electricity. Unless you're properly grounded you ALWAYS run a chance of messing up your ram...or anything else with a circuit board.
    Wouldn't you feel some type of shock though?

I didn't feel anything ... Stupid me I had the fucking wrist strap sitting next to me and said "i've done this plenty of times with no wrist strap , i'll be fine..."

I feel like a fucking moron right now ...

Someone had suggested Resetting the CMOS for the BIOS in order to get my RAM working again , think it might work ????
    Last edited by metaverse; 11-14-2008 at 04:33 PM.
    All we ever have is now ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast