bridge & mixtape
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ctrld

Default bridge & mixtape

because I went offtopic with this in another thread...

what is it with all the hype around bridge anyway?

from the demonstrations I've seen so far it looks to me like bridge only works with sampled material - so if you have a melody or anything else that's played live via MIDI, you can't "touch" it with timecode because it would involve insane (more like impossible) amounts of (pre-)sampling...

what exactly are the advantages of bridge compared to, say, syncing a proper ableton liveset with traktor (which is ridiculously easy no matter if you do it manually or via MIDI)? can bridge do anything significant that the ableton + traktor combination can not? where exactly is the innovation? in order to properly control a liveset you need an additional controller next to your DJ setup anyway, so why not use it on a separate system altogether - especially regarding resources and redundance?

don't misunderstand, I'm not hating - I just don't see what's so uber about it and maybe one of you can explain what I am missing.

(p.s.: I know about the mixtape feature so no need to bring that up)

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I read and i read and all i got is that you can go "wicky wacky" with the timecode and control clips from Ableton in the SSL browser window.

I may have glossed over things somewhat...

Tech Mentor

For me the appeal is that i currently run serato into ableton (please don't hate on me Traktor fans, i like the application but serato is back to the old skool and i have Ableton for warping/beatgridding stuff) and i see it as the way to sync both softwares together without the pressing of the nudge buttons constantly....

I'm stoked to see what it actually does as it's been quite a while since we saw the demos....

Cheers
    D

S4racen, do you have to run Live out of a SSL channel and through an analogue mixer?

Excuse my ignorance on this one, but does SSL actually have an internal mix function? I looked through the documentation and as far as I can figure you ALWAYS have to use SSL with an analogue mixer.

If I am correct above. does the bridge now introduce internal mixing?

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Mudo

Well, we define first what is the Bridge and then we could take some conclusions.

The Bridge is:
    -Two way communication audio tunnel (like rewire but full duplex)
    -SSL and ITCH native control integrated inside Ableton Live and visualized at SSL frontend.

We could do/expect:

- Transport control with timecode/Itch controllers.
    - Ableton Live as a third deck inside SSL/Itch.
    - Record anything done in SSL (with mixer with midi control from Rane) inside Ableton.
    - Feedback in SSL from Ableton (track name and so on).
    - Closed timing sync and optimized audioflow.
    - Native Control integration of third play in SSL (like Novation, Akai, ...)

and maybe... use of other Ableton features with SSL (like maxforlive, plugins like looper and similar things).

Traktor is not so "deep" integration but it could be if someone write python remote Scripts for this "close" integration.

I hope it helps.

ctrld

Quote Originally Posted by Mudo View Post
    use of other Ableton features with SSL (like maxforlive, plugins like looper and similar things)
    you mean: ssl, ableton and max/msp runtime running simultaneously on one machine without serious performance issues? very unlikely unless you're using a bunch of short audio loops.

I still want to know what they have in mind for people whose livesets contain mainly MIDI clips and automations...

Mudo

Well,
    I'm only pointing possibilities... users will take the choice.

As a midi concern... transport control and control surfaces affects midi clips too. It could be possible play piano at hide Ableton trought SSL and (I hope) control Looper fx (o wathever) too...

Technically it is possible, practically we will see...

ctrld

Quote Originally Posted by Mudo View Post
    transport control and control surfaces affects midi clips too
    yeah, but not the audio output generated from those MIDI clips.

Mudo

Why not?

ctrld

eh, isn't that obvious? say you're trying to scratch a midiclip with one short note and the synth playing it has a huge release. so the note gets played and now you want to drag it back to the beginning while doing a simple transformer and then baby-scratch it in again. won't work - because the stuff played in "realtime" would have to be (p)resampled including all possible parameter tweaks (e.g. a filtersweep). I believe there's no way to do that unless you invent a quantum computer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast