Great DJ playing Great Dance Music
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Great DJ playing Great Dance Music

After being disgusted with crappy ass Big Name DJ's throwing down lame ass tracks, I just have to give props out to Grant for keeping it real after all these years. Never heard this guy let me down live and he has not succumb to the new garbage being peddled out there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqFP-GxMqok

The Southport weekender was the one place I could never convince any of my friends to travel down to. I even threatened my wife with an empty promise of leaving her, if she didn't accompany me to watch MAW there.

It's a real shame because all the big soulful names have played there and I reckon we would have all had a great time. The gang are all married with kids so I can't ever see us making it down there now. Gutting.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Ah Southport... 10 minute drive from my house...
    Real Disco ... only up North
    *lethal pizzle hits me with a London A-Z*

@archie MAW = Love.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Real Disco ... only up North

@archie MAW = Love.

Down South from me my friend.

I've loved MAW for an absolute age now. My first memory was getting a free Nervous Records cassette from DJ mag (yup, it was that long ago) and I was heart broken when the tape snapped. The Nervous track was on that tape and I had never heard anything like it.

My favourite piece of vinyl I own is the 5 pack limited edition of the Nu Yorican Soul album, which was based on the Quintero cigar boxes.

I even bought a Technics SL DZ cd player after I watched them playing on 4 cd decks. The cd player was shit, but the memory of watching them play on them will live for me for a long time. They were so shiny and new looking.

In short, I'm a massive MAW fanboy.

I hear ya mate.
    I also have The Nervous Track on so many different albums, i have the 12 and plenty of other Maw 12s ... big big fan.

I used to do a Saturday bar set and for about 3 years the last song every saturday was the 4-Hero version of Black Gold Of The Sun... It remains the song that more people have said "what is this tune man its amazing" than any i have ever played.
    People would ask every saturday "are you gonna end on that song mate" i couldnt not play it.

Absolutely Sublime. Genre defying, file under House, D&B whatever.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzJcTZ9aZjA

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    I hear ya mate.

I used to do a Saturday bar set and for about 3 years the last song every saturday was the 4-Hero version of Black Gold Of The Sun... It remains the song that more people have said "what is this tune man its amazing" than any i have ever played.
    People would ask every saturday "are you gonna end on that song mate" i couldnt not play it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzJcTZ9aZjA

I played in many local bars with shitty sound systems and 1210's propped up on foam, on top of more foam and on top of flight cases. The tune I was always asked for at peak time was Backfired. I never got through a set without it being asked for. Because it was an import, some people were quite upset when I told them it wouldn't be released any time soon.
    Last edited by Archies'bald; 07-18-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Sorry for the slight OT Loverocket but you got us onto good house music with that post.

Still on the MAW tip, if im ever doing a house party or one of the Pubs that have BBQs my g/f always asks for Runaway... she loves that tune.

Maybe this should be the House Lovers thread hahaha
    Just a load of old blokes banging on about how house music isnt as good as it used to be LOL... j/k

Runaway what a classic your g/f has good taste Karlos, To be in love is my fav MAW track quality sunshine tune to put a smile on ur face

I'm sure Loverocket won't mind too much. He seems to have the same taste in music as we do (I hope I'm not being too presumptuous).

Runaway is a class tune. The remixes were huge back in the day, with lots of my friends clamouring to get their hands on any kind of recording of those tunes.

In keeping with the O/T divergence, kids don't know how difficult it was to get good music even ten years ago. It's not their fault and they shouldn't feel guilty for it, but christ, it was expensive and it was hard work.

Tech Mentor

Runaway for me everytime, even when back in the day when i was urban hip-hop dj then runaway still made my ears feel good man!!!
    MBP i7. Denon MC4000. Traktor Scratch A6. DDJ SX Serato DJ.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast