Midi fighter small footprint

Default Midi fighter small footprint

Did anyone else expect the midi fighter to be a little bigger? I am not complaining. I love my midi fighter but when I opened the package I was like.... whoa this is smaller than I thought. When my wife got home she said the same thing (without any input from me). Again this is not a complaint. I would not trade my MF for anything. Just wondering if anyone else had the same initial thought when they received their MF.
    Technics 1210 MKII (x2) ~ Pioneer DDJ-RX ~ Allen & Heath Xone 2:02 ~ Traktor Pro 2 ~ Rekordbox DJ ~ Novation Dicer

The question about "blank space" in controller layouts is a hot topic in the DJTT offices. Pro scratch mixers have lots of space around the important faders, but "portable" controllers like the American Audio VMS 4 go for controllers-per-inch and pretty much expect you to work your magic with tiny motions and fine control in a dark room:

Look at those pitch faders. You're expected to make very fine movements on those babies, but there's nothing for you to rest your hand on to allow the fine controls, plus you have to have equal fine control in both hands to use the other side. It's just a fundamentally broken design. At least a pair of 1200s allow you to use the same hand to the the operation on each deck with some support area for your hand.

Got any opinions or ideas?
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 07-19-2010 at 12:46 PM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post

Got any opinions or ideas?
    I'm going to take this opportunity to quote the great Ali...

Quote Originally Posted by HedgeHog View Post
    Keep in mind that whitespace is pretty important.

[/IMG]
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Less is more...
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

I agree that it can look small all alone on a table, but put it down beside your VCI with the laptop in front of it on a small DJ area and you find it could be even smaller! SIze is relative to the space you have.

As for the "whitspace", it is the thing I found really pleasant when I first used the Spin. Lots of room and with enough controls for doing basic mixing.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Quote Originally Posted by Redlight View Post
    Did anyone else expect the midi fighter to be a little bigger? I am not complaining. I love my midi fighter but when I opened the package I was like.... whoa this is smaller than I thought. When my wife got home she said the same thing (without any input from me). Again this is not a complaint. I would not trade my MF for anything. Just wondering if anyone else had the same initial thought when they received their MF.
    I know exactly what you mean, i had the same feeling too. I think it came down to having actual arcade buttons in mind? they were generally a bit bigger and i think that changed my expected scale.