Cue points
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cue points

Default Cue points

So, when you get a bunch of new tracks, where do you put your cue points in them? Just wondering if there were standard sort of places to put them, because I'm just starting out, really. When I was recording a mix a couple of weeks back, I set up cue points for each track, specifically for that mix (eg when the next track was meant to come in, when to release a loop, that sort of thing) but obviously that's no good if you're doing an unplanned set (ie most of the time).

Cheers!

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Personally :
    1. Load Point (or the point where i would normally play a song from).
    2.a Start point if it is different to Load Marker (if the load point is the start point then this one is null)
    2.b Grid Marker
    3. Intro Loop
    4,5,6,7 Cue Points for juggle/vocal or anything
    8 Outro Loop

That way i always know i can hit certain buttons without paying to much attention and i know i can get to the right part of a track, especially important for the Load/Start point.

Using the same method all the time is vital.

I've recently started to set one at every major change in the song. If it's a simple song i'll put some in on the more subtle changes. I drop temp cues when i need to create a little variation. It's works pretty good for me right now, but this could all change soon. And i do this when mixing with 4 decks. For my top 40, r'nb, funk, and soul; the cue points are all over the place, but when i play these styles i only mix 2 decks and use c&d for sampling, and creating some extra rhythm.

Tech Guru

I usually put them in major changes of the song also. That way when im mixing into a song if I want to cut the song im mixing out of straight to vocals I can, or even if I want to jump to a loop.

I used to set up my cues for cue juggling for vocals and stuff but slowly leaning away towards it, unless its just to obvious to ignore , than I will set up cues for cue juggling.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Outro loop was the first thing i start doing with Cues really.

That way....you never run out of track!

SAFE!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Personally :
    2.a Start point if it is different to Load Marker (if the load point is the start point then this one is null)
    2.b Grid Marker
    3. Intro Loop
    8 Outro Loop

That way i always know i can hit certain buttons without paying to much attention and i know i can get to the right part of a track, especially important for the Load/Start point.

Using the same method all the time is vital.
    I pretty much do it this way, but I'll do an intro loop sometimes. Sometimes I'll use them to mark where vocals start or end and I'll mark them with fade out and fade in markers so they stand out.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Personally :
    2.b Grid Marker
    3. Intro Loop
    8 Outro Loop
    Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I was wondering how this is going to work with the S4. Since it has four que buttons, you wouldn't be able to use them for juggling if you have que points set up like this, since que 1 and 2 are used.

I was wondering about this because Traktor uses que 1 as a grid marker, so would this force you to manually set que 5 as grid marker, so you can use 1234 on the fly to juggle? Or is it set up that S4 uses 5678 for the que buttons?
    MBP 13" - Kontrol S4 - nanoKontrol - DHJ-500 - Hercules DJ Console MK1
    Find me on: Facebook, Soundcloud
    Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Hi Karlos! I have a lawnmower, do you like grapes?

^ I was wondering that and im now putting the grid in slot 8 to save space. Then a loop in and loop out, and a big change and brake down in slots 1-4. Im assuming there must be a shift function to get 5-8, if not can always make one. Or use a x1 or lpd8.
    Maschine, Abelton live, Massive, Samson studio monitors, Ks4, New truss, revo 4, Chauvet minspots on the way,Traktor pro Thank goodness for just needing the sn#!!),2nd 13" macbook

All fire lost:Signed Vci-100 arcade, akai lpd8,Truss and all lighting, 13" macbook, hercules rmx

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedsight View Post
    Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I was wondering how this is going to work with the S4. Since it has four que buttons, you wouldn't be able to use them for juggling if you have que points set up like this, since que 1 and 2 are used.

I was wondering about this because Traktor uses que 1 as a grid marker, so would this force you to manually set que 5 as grid marker, so you can use 1234 on the fly to juggle? Or is it set up that S4 uses 5678 for the que buttons?
    Could somebody please enlighten me on this?
    MBP 13" - Kontrol S4 - nanoKontrol - DHJ-500 - Hercules DJ Console MK1
    Find me on: Facebook, Soundcloud
    Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Hi Karlos! I have a lawnmower, do you like grapes?

^Not sure exactly what you need but... Yes you would have to manually move the grid cue point if you want to use 1-4 to juggle on the s4. As the s4 come out the box the cues it would trigger are 1-4. Options to use all 8 on the s4 would require id say a modifier to access 5-8 on the 1-4 buttons or on the sampler buttons.

Or move the sample functions to a kontrol x1 as i here others are using it for or move them to something like the lpd8. Or just use one of those controllers to trigger your cue points.
    Maschine, Abelton live, Massive, Samson studio monitors, Ks4, New truss, revo 4, Chauvet minspots on the way,Traktor pro Thank goodness for just needing the sn#!!),2nd 13" macbook

All fire lost:Signed Vci-100 arcade, akai lpd8,Truss and all lighting, 13" macbook, hercules rmx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast