VCI-100 1.2 - Latency
    Tech Convert

Default VCI-100 1.2 - Latency

I've been tweaking my settings for days now... I think I'm getting close to an optimum latency setting, but I still can't stand how much lag I get! I'm at 23ms and thats still too much in my opinion. I use an external pre-amp (Tascam US122) running at 512 (any lower and it clips) for my master... I've tried increasing the buffer on songs INSIDE Tractor 3 LE (up to 128... how many songs are bigger than 128MB!? Seriously!) (and yes yes, I know, trying to get full version...) I use my soundcard for monitoring (3.5mm out), which isn't a big deal for lag for me, at this point. what else could I do to bring the latency down even more? should i invest in a better card? better audio device? should I bulk up in RAM (only running a gig right now) or are my twin 1.6 gig cores not good enough? Anyone else having significant lag issues with their VCI-100?

*sigh* First gig with it is in a few weeks. Getting nervous.

-Dan
    Last edited by DanF; 04-21-2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling

The Latency your describing has nothing to do with your VCI-100 its all about your sound driver settings, make sure you are using ASIO drivers and reduce your buffer size to the lowest minimum possible.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 04-22-2008 at 10:18 AM. Reason: clarity

Tech Guru

There IS a certain amount of lag associated with MIDI devices, but that has nothing to do with the latency you're describing with your audio interface. I don't know much about that Tascam interface, but I would think that you should be able to get down lower than 23ms. Have you tried using an alternative driver for it (like ASIO4ALL)?

how many songs are bigger than 128MB!
    All of them. Any compressed file gets converted to PCM before being played. Every audio program I know of does this.

You're mentioning alot of things in this post that have nothing to do with latency. The buffer setting you describe as being set to 128MB is to store in RAM in order to allow beat jumps and cues to be "hot cues". It has nothing to do with interface latency. Likewise, the headphone out doesn't effect latency.

Give us an idea of what YOU mean when you say latency. Be as specific as possible about what you're experiencing.

Tech Convert

Default Lag

I'm currently using ASIO4ALL; that's also what I have my "soundcard" set to in Tracktor. As I lower the buffer size (of my ASIO), I begin to hear clips. Anything lower than 512 samples would bulking up in memory help this? what about a faster CPU? Note the attachment, these are my ASIO settings. Am I doing something wrong? (and please excuse the quality, i needed to get it under 19kb)

The lag I'm getting is just that little reaction time from me snapping my crossfade slider all the way left/right and the program responding. Its about 23ms, I think. this happens most noticeably with my sliders, but my cue/play/etc buttons are slightly affected. I have a hard time dealing with the slight lag time when scratching too... there's a video on Youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Y509VQVEQ. He doesn't seem to have as much lag as me.

I understand that with a small buffer I have a low latency time, and clips are from filling the buffer back up, so how do I minimize my latency while also minimizing my 'clips'? are there better drivers than ASIO? Hardware of software - where is my problem?

Any ideas?

(and yeah, i get monitor lag, but its no big deal. thats my internal soundcard that i have my headphones set to. Not really a problem)
    Last edited by DanF; 04-24-2008 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

It can't be your processor, or RAM.

I'm still on a Compaq Evo
    Pentium 4(remember those) 1.8 ghz
    1 Gb of RAM

I can turn my latency down to 1.5ms just fine.
    I'm using a VCI-100 & the Audio 8 DJ

I wonder if it's because you are using two different sound cards to mix (correct me if I'm wrong about that)? It sounds like you are using one sound card as your mains, and your internal to cue. Wouldn't that mean you have two audio drivers running at the same time? Because you are using 2 separate sound devices, instead of 1 sound device that has multiple channels out. Maybe this wouldn't matter, I'm no expert. I just know that I use the Audio 8 DJ for both my master and my cue channels. My original sound card is turned off.

Is your OS a fresh install?
    Have you tried turning off a bunch of other drivers?
    Have you set your computer to be optimized for background processes?

Read the Traktor 3 manual. They have some very helpful tips on optimizing your system.

Tech Convert

I think you have an excellent point.

The problem is, I bought the Tascam with the sole intention of recording only, but I "thought" it had two outputs (and it does! this is the part that frustrates me... look it up, the back has a headphone out, but it's designed for the purpose of recording ie. recording guitar while your mix plays on your headphones) only, the computer doesn't recognize the interface as two units

so, now, if what you say is true, technically my audio is being routed TWICE. once through my computer, then to the unit, back to my computer and then out through the unit again. (this makes sense, if i routed everything through the TASCAM, i bet i wouldn't have such a problem. *sigh* looks like i'm heading out to find a better interface.

ah well, i'll see about picking something up with four outputs. let the research begin!

You should read the Audio 8 review just poster here (but I bet you already have). I've been getting great results with it on my lower end system. It's probably saved me from have to purchase a new laptop for now.

However, you may find a more well rounded card for the same money, or cheaper (Presonus Firebox $299) that may give you better recording/production options. I had been reccomended the MOTU Ultralite by a couple people, that is if money is not an option, and you want an army in a box!

The Audio 8 will give you vinyl control down the road, if that's important to you.