What would you do?

Default What would you do?

Hi all,
    I'm fairly new to the forums but I've given it a good read through lately. I am hoping that once I explain my current situation, I'll be able to receive some good advice from you guys. So, here goes! I'll keep it as concise as possible.

From the start (15 years ago) I was a vinyl DJ. I now have 20 times as many mp3s as I do vinyl.

For various reasons, here is the equipment I currently own:

2 x Technics SL-1200MK2
    Pioneer DJM-400 mixer
    Stanton Final Scratch 2 (Scratchamp & Timecode vinyl)
    Novation Remote SL25
    Event ALP monitors/speakers (built in amp)
    Hercules DJ console MK1 (not fully working, what a surprise!)
    G4 Powerbook 1.5GHz

I have used Final Scratch for a year. I like it, but, it's just too much hassle. I has been a hassle to set up and because I move my laptop each day, I find it a hassle to have a "quick mix". Support from Stanton is non-existent.

I am 36 years old, about to be a father in a few months, and I'm searching for an easy solution. I want to have a DJing setup where I can easily get everything going and have a mix without spending hours having to set up, configure etc etc.

I also want to have everything on one desk at home. I sometimes make music with Ableton too so it makes sense to have everything I need on one desk with the speakers facing me. (Before I would have my decks to the side with the speakers on the other desk for listening and making music).

I have an iphone as well and want to have that in my system and be able to plug this in without problems. Therefore, a good external soundcard is necessary.

So, the question basically is, what should I sell/keep and what should I buy.

Age of current equipment:

2 x Technics SL-1200MK2 - 16 years approx
    Pioneer DJM-400 mixer - 1 year (2 years gaurantee left)
    Stanton Final Scratch 2 - 1 year
    Novation Remote SL25 - 1.5 years
    Event ALP monitors/speakers (built in amp) - 1 year
    Hercules DJ console MK1 (not fully working, what a surprise!) - 3 years
    G4 Powerbook 1.5GHz - 5 years

Some options I have thought about:

OPTION 1

SELL:
    Technics
    Final Scratch
    Hercules (or put in bin)

BUY:
    nothing
    Use Remote SL25 as main controller and DJM-400 as external mixer
    (Though I need a decent .tks file for remote SL25)

OPTION 2

SELL:
    Technics
    Final Scratch
    Hercules (or put in bin)
    DJM-400

BUY:
    VCI-100 (or similar controller)
    Soundcard

Use VCI-100 for DJing and keep Remote SL25 for music making

There are some other configurations but just to give you an idea of my thoughts.

Remember I am looking for ease of use. I won't have so much time for music as I used to so don't want to get involved in masses of configuration etc. I also want something that's going to last for a good few years.

So, what would you do?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Honestly, if you want the most compact set up I'd say get a good external soundcard, and use the Remote SL25 for both music production and DJing. Also, I'd get one small piece for triggering samples (PadKontrol, Trigger Finger, etc.) just to have an extra piece on the side.

The best controllerists right now have some of the most toned down set ups out there.

Now, the configuration of the VCI-100 will be easiest because all of us are creating configurations all the time. The Remote SL25 is a good option also, though. Once you get that initial config down you'll never really need to change it. :-)

If you use the DJM-400 and the Remote SL25 you have another solid option, though. The TSI or TKS wouldn't be too terrible to build either.

Really, the first thing you should do is demo the VCI-100 and see if it's the kind of controller you want to use. Then you should watch videos of the guys DJing on the keyboards and see if that's the direction for you. Once you decide that you can start putting together a plan of what you need.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Also, I'd get one small piece for triggering samples (PadKontrol, Trigger Finger, etc.) just to have an extra piece on the side.
    I guess I could use the iphone for that. There are some midi apps out there now. I could still have the Hercules on the side as even though the soundcard bit has gone it still works midi wise.

I would love to get the .tks file which Ean used...
    http://djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1026
    so that I could try it with the Remote sl25 and see how it feels. I almost feel I would still need something to "drop the beat in" with. But I guess I would get used to pressing a button with practise.

Anyone else any thoughts?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I'm in a similar boat of changing my technique overall to make it work. I'd say you could use the Hercules off to the side, or the trigger finger set up, or even the iPhone.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

mishmashmole:

If you plan on selling the DJM-400... I am first in the list of buyers!
    DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin

my first thought is that he would regret getting rid of the 1200s down the road.

the scratchamp is a good soundcard and he has the sl25 for a midi controller & the djm for a mixer which along with traktor or even ableton would give him a good starter controllerist package. search the NI forums for a tks for the sl25 and you might get lucky.

I was wondering when the first "you'll regret selling the 1200s" would come along.

Believe me, I have given this a great deal of thought. I'm no scratch dj therefore I won't miss that. I will miss the feel of putting the beat in I guess, but I'm more excited about pushing buttons, moving faders etc for effects and variety. I started using Traktor a long time ago and have always been fascinated by the digital side. I love new technology and I am ready to embrace it fully. I made a mistake when I bought Final Scratch but I just had to try it. I know now what I want. I think the only thing I'll miss is just how good the decks set up looks in my house. I'd rather people be more impressed by listening to what I do than looking at what I have.

I'm in Sweden by the way so it depends on where you are Julio is it's worth it or not. I may have trouble selling the decks for a decent price as not many clubs use them here. Mostly Cds.

I may just have to do my own .tks but I'd like to have Ean's as I've seen what he can do and I trust his judgement!

My first steps then is to try the .tks on the SL25 and demo a vci-100. But I feel the longer I wait the more value the Final Scratch and decks lose value.

Tech Mentor

Maybe NS7s? They're available now. They're bigger than all that's mentioned above but, they'd be something that's definitely a lot easier to use. Also VCI-300 isn't a bad idea to consider or the Otus (when it finally comes out). All these are new so they should last you for a while not to say the vci-100 wont

NS7 & Otus- Nah, I don't need anything that big. I may as well keep the 1200s than getting those. Cheers though, I didn't know about these products.