Apple Resellers

Thread: Apple Resellers

Default Apple Resellers

hey lads

so im about to buy me first mac but here's the deal. Future Shop/Best Buy (as much as i hate them) are offering Mac Office for free (no rebates...just free) with the purchase of an iMac or macbook instead of an iPod touch (which is a rebate) like apple is offering.

Now while the price diff is like 20$ i don't quite care as mac office to me is more useful than an iPod. My question is the following, are apple resellers also supposed to honor the education discount?

I had gone into Future Shop and asked the guy some mac questions (he didn't know shit btw) and then i asked him if they honor the education discount and his response was "hmmm...well maybe i don't know. If you buy like a printer or something then I can work something out with my manager" uhm...wtf?

I mean to me it seems that Apple Resellers should adhere to apple offers/policies should they not? I googled this and ran through the apple website and came up short

Tech Mentor

maybe try asking at the apple store?

They're usually friendly enough to answer any questions even though you don't intend to buy anything from them.

Or just call apple

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

My girlfriend worked at an Apple Reseller and they always declined selling Educational Products. They would say "please buy from the Apple Store"

I guess they couldnt be bothered with the hassle.
    The profit in Apple products for a reseller is very very very slim. Its almost not worth doing unless your Reseller is a "Premium Reseller".

You should ring the store (as mentioned) they might budge on the offer.

I stopped dealing with the Reseller and i now go straight to the Apple Store. Its a much quicker way to get things done especially for repairs.

In my experience Apple resellers only sell Apple stuff cus they think that the kind of person that buys Apple has money to burn on other peripherals.
    The Apple is just the fruit to tempt you into the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    I stopped dealing with the Reseller and i now go straight to the Apple Store. Its a much quicker way to get things done especially for repairs.

In my experience Apple resellers only sell Apple stuff cus they think that the kind of person that buys Apple has money to burn on other peripherals.
    The Apple is just the fruit to tempt you into the shop.
    Truth. Most resellers do not offer EDU discount, you have to go either straight to Apple or an educational institution. But, if you are able to get the EDU discount in general, I would recommend going to a college/university store since you can get software there for very cheap (I got my copy of office for mac for $80).

I totally understand the tiny margin of profit (as with most computers) but I imagined that resellers would "abide" by the apple rules seeing as how apple has a vice grip on everyones balls.

Anyways, thank you guys for the replies.