Can't get Midi Fighter working on PC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Unhappy Can't get Midi Fighter working on PC

Hey guys,

I'm having no joy getting my MidiFighter working on my PC

I've read many of the LED threads that have just come up so I've managed to flash the MidiFghter properly via Flip to the latest firmware as mine was one of the early batches.

However the Midi Fighter doesn't come up as an available Midi device in Traktor or Ableton.

When I try different USB ports - it installs a USB Audio Device and USB Composite Device each time. When I go into Device Manager one of my USB Audio Devices says - "Location 0 (Midifigher)" and under the properties tab there is 'MIDI Devices and Instruments' and 'WDM Midi Device' under there.

I've found USBAudio.sys and copied it to %WINDOWS%\system32 as per the following thread:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13273

And when I look at the Driver Details for the audio device it is pointing to %WINDOWS%\system32\drivers\USBAudio.sys so it is pointing there.

I just don't understand why it's not coming up as an available Midi device in either Traktor or Ableton.

I've also tried looking for the registry as per the link above but can't find either of those values at all and I've even searched for all "ProductID"s

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3 and have a Focusrite Saffire USB 6 sound card.

I've got a Korg nanoKontrol working so I know that I can get Midi but not coming from the Midi Fighter.

Can someone please help?

Would uploading screenshots of my device manager help? Where should it show up?

Tech Mentor

P.S. I've also tried a MidiMonitor for a PC and it can't see the device either ....

So, under WindowsXP the Midifighter is enumerated as "USB audio device". Windows has this fabulous way of ignoring the name of the device and instead reporting the name of the driver it loaded for that device (mac correctly names the device).

Are you sure you don't have a "USB audio device" reported anywhere in Traktor?

Try looking for it using MIDI-OX to check that it's working.

The MIDI Fighter shows up as "USB Audio Device" for me as well in Device Manager and also shows up as "USB Audio Device" in Ableton Live.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

Tech Mentor

Hi guys,

USB Audio doesn't show up as an available device in Midi OX - see attachment

Any ideas what I can do. I've also attached a screenshot of device manager

Tech Mentor

I've tried the MF in a friends laptop and I can see it under "USB Audio" as a midi controller! So at least I know that the MF firmware all works and it's not bricked.

Are there any files/settings/registry nonsense that I can copy from my friends machine to help mine? Both are XP SP 3 but I have completely different hardware configuaration (laptop vs desktop).

Could it be a conflict with something?

I don't know what else to try - is there a way to remove all history of the MF so far? Will a widows roll back to a previous restore point work?

Been thinking about this.

I'm guessing the problem is Windows. It has a habit of caching USB descriptors as it finds them allowing it to find devices really quickly, but causing problems for people who half-install something, back out and try again. The first install "sticks" and so it never quite works.

You need to force windows to re-read the descriptor by deleting the USB keys for the Midifighter from the registry. Registry keys for USB devices are described by the Vendor ID / Product ID pair (VID/PID) and the IDs for the Midifighter are:

Code:
    VID_03EB&PID_2048
    Search for that string and delete any entry that contains it (i.e. not just the string, but the whole key that contains it).

Once you have done the search and destroy and your machine is fine, then you can plug in the Midifighter, sit back, let Windows enumerate it and load the driver. Once that has gone successfully you can start an audio app and look for the device - MIDI-OX would be a good choice as you can verify that it's working.

Tell me if this works for you!

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the post .....

Although I still can't get the Midi Fighter to show up as a Midi device! I was able to find the strings in my registry but couldn't delete them at first. So I tried a system restore to 5 days ago then did a search in my registry to check that the key wasn't there. My registry was clean of the MF key however when I plugged the MF in - I still had no midi device.

After a bit more research I found that the reason I couldn't delete the key was because I didn't have permissions set properly in my registry - so I set them so I had full access then set about deleting all instances of the MF Key. After deleting about 10 folders and 3 or 4 keys that were randomly in other folders - I'd removed all instances of the MF key from my registry.

Plug in the MF .... and still no joy on Midi OX !!!!

I've had a quick look at my friends registry where the key is and they have two instances of the MF Key in each of VID_03EB&PID_2048 and VID_03EB&PID_2048&MI_00:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Enum\USB

Any more ideas? Could it be that? Can I help get you more info on anything?

I'm interested in your observation that that you cleared the USB record from your registry, plugged in the device and windows did nothing. Have you reflashed your Midifighter?

if No: go update the firmware - get the .hex file from http://sourceforge.net/projects/midifighter/files/ and use Atmel Flip to upload it.

if Yes: When you plug in the device, what lights to you see flickering? There's a very specific order of lights that you should see and I'm wondering if they are happening. The reason I asked you to update the firmware is that these lights are clearer and easier to see on the newer firmware.

Tech Mentor

1 - I have flashed the Midi Figher via Atmel Flip

2 - When I deleted the registry entries and plugged in for the first time I got:
    Snake > brief flash of 1 > solid 2 (whilst windows screen popped up to install drivers) Once the first of the two drivers installed the light no 2 went out and stayed out whilst the second driver installed (I think Audio driver was second). Then lights only come on when button is pressed

If I connect MF now I get Snake > 1 > 2 > 1 > 2 > 3 > off (windows dun-dun noise)
    Lights only come on when button is pressed

Should I try reflashing a second time?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast