Your take on SSL?
    Tech Wizard

Default Your take on SSL?

I was wondering, why not skip the whole VCI-300 thing and go with two TT's a mixer and SSL, would be really coolt, right?

Could anyone help me with a setup:
    TT's?
    2 channel mixer?
    SSL, Torq or Traktor Scratch?

Not too expensive though, is it possible to go under $1500 with decent stuff? Maybe a couple of used TT's...

Tech Wizard

Hi! My first post on this forum

Anyway, I just recently got into DJing this past year and was originally going to go all digital, i.e., VCI-100, sound-card, Traktor, etcera. I downloaded the demo of Traktor and used my midi keyboard to mess around with it. Good times

However, when it came down to purchasing my gear, I opted to go for a more traditional set-up, as I had about 4 crates full of vinyl handed down to me from my uncle. As for my budget, I was able to score two used Tech's for under $400 and a used DJM-707 for $250. I also purchased SSL for $479 from AGIprodj.com (great site).

As for sticking with your budget, you can definitely do it:
    Two turntables (used) = $400-600
    2 channel mixer = $200-400

Not bad...but you end up spending a lot more cash when factoring things such as needles, maintenance, cases, and possibly a DVS to save your aching back from crates of vinyl.

It's awesome and I honestly do love the feel of traditional vinyl. Also, please save the flaming, because I have just as much respect for the digital revolution. I'm looking to purchase a VCI-100 and quality sound-card in the future (by the end of the year), as I do love the sound and direction Ean is taking with controllerism.

Maybe I should start a new post for this, but are there any other people on this forum who have as much love for both the new and the old school? It's so sad when people on other forums flame digital djs for pushing buttons, and new-wave techies bagging on traditional set-ups because they're heavy and outdated.

That is all. Much respect!

Tech Guru

I agree, I love both the new and oldschool, and imo its about striking a balance between the two and there is no reason why you cant!

My setup (once complete) is going to be ableton and reaktor+ammobox (or some other scratch software - perhaps mspinky) using single TT and a remote SL (one on each channel of a mixer).

But! I would have to say dont buy SSL. Thats just a personal opinion but imo your mostly paying for a brand name and an average audio interface. Unlike what most people think you dont NEED the audio interface that you get with Serato it doesnt do anything special, any old audio interface will work. Imo if you want to get into digital vinyl get a nice soundcard - any one of the recommended ones - I have an NI audio kontrol 1 and its great. This will save you upgrading sound cards later. Then get MsPinky (www.mspinky.com) which is way cheaper ($100) and will work just as well as serato by itself and has the advantage of being upgradable to be used as a VST plugin in other software (and u wont need a new soundcard later).

Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by midian; 04-22-2008 at 08:07 PM.

although i have not used other dvs systems, i have owned and used scratch live for years. i love it and do not regret the purchase...ever. the best thing about ssl is that it just works...period. also, rane support is second to none and the ssl forums are one of the few i bother to check out anymore. definately recommended!!!

Tech Guru

After further thought SSL is quite a nice basic setup because it does just work (and is nice) and has so much support so for someone getting into a DVS then its probably the way to go, especially if u can get it cheap 2nd hand. I just think its somewhat limiting in terms of digital DJ'ing which I dont like, but yeah as a place to start its good.