1st Gig, D&B, a little advice needed please - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

to the OP> well, your selection from your first post is way too not-so-for-opening-set.
    Yeah, I didnt feel good about them, thats why I posted them here. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Im gonna ditch all the bangers and re-work the set properly including some of the suggestions here. It just so happens that Mutt, Eveson, Random movement and B-Complex have just released some lovely tunes that are currently getting tagged and sorted in Traktor

Thanks for your help guys, I'll be sure to post back with how it goes
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

So I thought i'd give you all the update on how it went.

7pm, reading, DJ etiquette on tech tools for the second time this week

8pm, soundcheck. I got in the booth and it was chocca with TT's and CDJ's, luckily I had a nice big foam pad to stick over a TT and got to it. There wasnt room for all my controllers, I had to leave out the LPD8. The midifighter got some love though
    I'd already stress tested all my gear to the max, so everything went nice and smoothly.

I was on at ten so had a couple of hours to kill so chatted to the promoter and helped out with some flyering.

It was pretty quiet when I started my set, all my mates showed up though and had a laugh while I brought the energy up slowly.

10:30 and the place is packed out, lots of nodding heads and happy faces, the mixing went perfectly. My mates were larging it up & I even had a few complements from train spotters

The next dj was a little disorganised, so was the communication. I got another 20 mins of glory which I hadn't planned for, but it was all good, I played a few of the heavier songs I questioned earlier in the thread and it went down a treat.

High fives all round, everyone enjoyed themselves, including and especially me
    It was all pro bono, got a couple of beers out of it and a warm feeling inside, proper good fun though. I loved giving my music to other people.

I got plenty of weird looks for using a controller too, the midi fighter also got loads of attention. Mostly “WTF is that!?” or “I love streetfighter man!”. The best thing about it was I got no flak for it at all, no-one had a negative comment about laptop dj's, auto synchers, etc. I got a few of the other dj's interested in midi too, I guess they're all gadget nerds like me, heh.

Then I proceeded to get rather drunk, chat bullshit to strangers, and dance my ass off to some HEAVY dnb. Soul Intent rocked that place hard.

Thanks to all you guys on here that share your experiences so that others may learn. I've picked up a huge amount of knowledge in a short space of time that's helped me massively and ensured my first night was a roaring success.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12