Slam the fader?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slam the fader?

Default Slam the fader?

hey all im getting taught by an old timer dj (im a traktor pro user but he makes me use serato), and today im playing on his ttm57 and hes like dude, never slam the faders like that, and were not talkin that hard, i mean, i was using them with force but not what i would ever consider exessive, but my opinion on it is that mixers should be built to fucking last (let alone a ttm57), the faders will probably ware more from regular use then these (slams) every once in a while,then he was going on about how if i go to clubs people r gonna get super pissed at me for slamming faders ect, anyway, i wanna know your guys take on this because i could be completely wrong, but i kinda doubt it

meh, i'm thinking maybe it's just his preference to be a bit more smooth with the faders, when you say 'slam', you mean you're hitting them quick for a sharp cut in/out?

did he say it was because of wear and tear?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Man, don't play too forcefully on gear that isn't yours. It's just a common courtesy whether it's an armored tank battle mixer or an ipod.

Your gear, go all out 'till your knobs fly across the room. But be nice to other peoples' expensive things.

Tech Guru

You'll learn soon enough that slamming faders is both stupid and unnecessary when you have to send your own equipment in for costly repair.

It's been said before - slam your own faders to your hearts content. But show other epoples gear a little more respect.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

I've yet to see a scratch DJ that doesn't have their crossfader "click" or "slam" (as you call it) against the metal when they scratch.

If this is considered "slamming" a fader, that guy is a clown.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI-pwWVFrRM
    Butcher
    DJ/Producer/Audio Engineer

that wasnt slamming the faders...

i completely agree, those were my exact thoughts aswell, that hard scratching cuts alone are going to ware faders way more than "slamming the faders" but i do understand other people point of view on other peoples gear, and its true, no one wants to see there mixer is damaged from someone other than themself using it

What we have here, is a failure to communicate!

Slamming the fader does NOT refer to cutting with the cross-fader. Fast clicks ARE an important part of scratching, BUT there is very little force generated from the fingers doing the clicking. Some scratch DJ's scratch from the wrist - even this doesn't generate enough force to cause any real damage to the faders. The click that the cross-fader makes when it reaches the end of it's travel is an important part of scratching. (Whether you scratch hamster style or not).

"Slamming the faders" refers to a sub-set of DJ's that whack the line fader to max using their whole body, for dramatic effect. These are the same kind of DJ's that use their whole body to turn a knob (especially when they're using filters).

In other words - poseurs. Don't do it. No-one is impressed.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    In other words - poseurs. Don't do it. No-one is impressed.
    You sure?, it seems to be working for this guy. Oh wait, nevermind. He isn't DJing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecyuB...ext=1&index=14

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast