Just lost 60gb of tunes - Gutted
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Just lost 60gb of tunes - Gutted

Well hopefully there are some pc tech people on here that may help.

Yesterday I turned my pc on but it would not boot up into windows. Tried a couple of time and nothing, just kept freezing on the splash screen. Went into the bios and noticed it was only seeing one of my hard drives, mmmm strange. Opened the pc up and removed the sata cable and plugged it back in (pc switched off ) PC then booted up into windows but before it did a message appeared saying drive d: had errors and it automatically ran chkdsk. When I finally got onto windows I went and checked out the hard drive. :eek: no music, all gone apart from one folder which has crap on it. Now the hard drive is 250gb with a usable 238gb or so. Its saying 130gb free which should mean 100gb is taken up? Wrong. I can only find 40gb of files, the remaining 60gb was my music.

My question is why can't I find the folder of music and why is it showing as taking up space on this hard drive if its not visible. Any software I can use to extract or find it.

Sorry for the long story. Any help would be appreciated.
    CDJ2000 x 3 : DJM900 : Novation Remote SL25 : Ableton L8 : Traktor Pro 2

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I believe a LiveCD (Linux thing) can mount NTFS. You will need to learn a few commands (one of them *NOT* being delete since there's no undelete) but you can get a raw look at your drive w/o Windows cocking it up.

Right.

Sounds like your drive lost its file table.

Your best bet is GETDATABACK.

Google that. Its a good recovery software. Make to get the NTFS one if that's what you got.

Also, try putting the drive into another PC as a slave and see if it can see the whole partition.

If not, recovery is the best way.

You will have to format it at some point, but the recovery software will see past that and pick up pretty much everything that WAS on the drive.

Good luck....and backup from now on!

My producer mate....who has 2 albums out (and who should know fucking better) lost ALL his shit. All his patches...samples...trax....EVERYTHING!

10 years worth of shit.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

You can also check out BartPE, which will allow you to boot into a pre-boot environment and just browse the disk. I've saved many users that way.
    A little bit of gold and a pager.

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Right.

Sounds like your drive lost its file table.

Your best bet is GETDATABACK.

Google that. Its a good recovery software. Make to get the NTFS one if that's what you got.

Also, try putting the drive into another PC as a slave and see if it can see the whole partition.

If not, recovery is the best way.

You will have to format it at some point, but the recovery software will see past that and pick up pretty much everything that WAS on the drive.

Good luck....and backup from now on!

My producer mate....who has 2 albums out (and who should know fucking better) lost ALL his shit. All his patches...samples...trax....EVERYTHING!

10 years worth of shit.
    Good advice, but be advised that not all hard drive controllers play nice with each other, so if you put the hard drive in another computer, even as a slave, you could blue screen or see nothing at all. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Don't freak out if it does, it's just a different hard drive controller.
    A little bit of gold and a pager.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

One thing I've done before was put in a Knoppix CD and I was able to see some files that my PC said were not there. It's a Linux OS that runs form the CD so you don't have to install anything. Not sure if it'll work or if I'me even remembering things right, but if all else fails you might try that.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I had my external harddrive become unreadable one day a little more than a year ago. My second computer could not read it either. First I tried recovery software and stuff like Spinrite but neither of that played nice with my harddive. So just as a random idea I put a Ubuntu LiveCD in and that thing could actually read my harddive. So I coped everything off to another hardrive and then formatted my external drive and it's been working nicely ever since.

I do keep two copies of my stuff nowadays, I'd rather not have it happen to me again and it being unsolvable that time.

I suspect that that I was using the leaked Windows 7 release candidate (about a week before it went public) might have been a contributing factor.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    One thing I've done before was put in a Knoppix CD and I was able to see some files that my PC said were not there. It's a Linux OS that runs form the CD so you don't have to install anything. Not sure if it'll work or if I'me even remembering things right, but if all else fails you might try that.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

NICE ONE!

I have used Knoppix a lot, and never thought of trying that!

Cheers mate!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Mentor

way out of my depth here but have you tried booting in safe mode?
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast