Keeping your mixes and productions safe from other people using it. How do you do it?
    Tech Guru

Default Keeping your mixes and productions safe from other people using it. How do you do it?

So I read in a reply some time ago that someone was handed their own mix by a DJ, and then that DJ had to change his name, move out of town, etc. to ever hope to get another gig.

That was lucky for the guy that got the mix and all. but what if he had given that mix to someone else.

Just thother day I made my mixes on soundcloud un-downloadable because, frankly, I got piss scared of other people using them to get gigs and say that they made it.

So my question is: how do you stop your mixes and productions from being used by others without your knowledge?

Thanks again!

Gianmaro
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

• Insert a small sample with your DJ name every 5 or so minutes!
    • Upload it only as mp3 with 128 or 192 kbps. (This has the disadvantage that potential bookers etc. will also get the low-quality mix.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

it's easy to rip stuff from soundcloud even if doesn't have the download link...

pro-tip: don't share anything with anyone unless you don't mind it being public.

Honestly, anyone who tries doing this will not make it far and will run themselves out of town trying it.

Other than keeping your high-quality commodities away from the general public and only making them available to people in the biz through channels you choose yourself, don't worry too much about it.

It's a short matter of time before they're found out. Trust the laws of nature here.

Tech Mentor

Keep everything you've ever produced locked away on an external harddrive in a small chest in the back of your closet underneath some coats.

If you put it on the internet, there's no chance.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Mixes: the odd drop sample here and there. They are there to be heard. If people are nicking it then rejoice. It must mean it is good.

Productions: Send yourself a CD copy in a sealed envelope and ask it to be stamped at the post office. The stamp should be clearly across the seal with the date on it. Then put the CD somewhere safe. (UK)
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Productions: Send yourself a CD copy in a sealed envelope and ask it to be stamped at the post office. The stamp should be clearly across the seal with the date on it. Then put the CD somewhere safe. (UK)
    I've done this with every piece of music i've ever made. Even back in the early 90's when i was playing in bands. This is what we call a poor man's copyright. Just remember to label you're envelopes. I didn't for the first few years, and eventually realized that if somehow i had to use one, i would have to open them all up to find the right one. Which would ruin the purpose for the rest of the tracks.

As for mixes, i've never really bothered. Because if someone gets a gig using my mix, it probably means they can't mix themselves, and therefor will not be getting booked again after the promoter hears what they really sound like.

Tech Mentor

The mailing yourself stuff thing doesn't work by the way...

for mixsets, drop samples every few minutes. for tracks, keep them at 128 kbps.

Quote Originally Posted by n2hf1st View Post
    The mailing yourself stuff thing doesn't work by the way...

for mixsets, drop samples every few minutes. for tracks, keep them at 128 kbps.
    I was only referring to the the place I live, the UK:

http://www.snopes.com/legal/postmark.asp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_man's_copyright
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Wizard

I don't care. Honestly if somebody is that desperate, let's see how far they can take it. When it comes time to deliver the goods they will obviously fall short.