Stepping it up! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stepping it up!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

This is the limit of MIDI you're hitting. If you set your jog wheels to the same command as the pitch fader, though, you can use the jog wheels to fine tune the pitch.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Thank you again. So is there a happy-medium that I can set my pitch faders to, or should I let them as they be with the .17 increments? As they are now, they are not very accurate. My jog wheels are set for scratch/pitch bend btw....depending on if I have the scratch button selected or not.
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

You can try shrinking the pitch resolution to 5%, but other than that there aren't many other options. You could try setting a modifier so you can use the jog wheel to move the pitch too.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Even though it's been a few months, it's good to see the questions are the same. I say that with love, before I give advice.

You have two separate posts with two very different objectives, so let's start with the first one.

Yes, you can easily do this. As said above, you need to use your ears, as that is what the technique is all about. You can visualize the beats but that has nothing to do with the quality of the mix.

Start by mixing songs that are similar tempos. Don't use the sync button, and nudge the tracks back and forth so they fit. I would assign the "scratch" function or whatever on the jog wheel to pitch bend, personally, as the pitch fader is relatively useless imho, once you get above a 6% pitch bend.

That is a technique used to assist in beatmatching. Beatmatching, overall, is pretty self explanatory. it is the method used by DJs to match the beats of two songs. bending the pitch is a way to do that.

There are a few questions in here. First, the distortion you're hearing is highly likely to be tied to your soundcard getting overwhelmed by the pitch increase. When you increase the tempo of a song, you're also increasing the actual pitch of the song. Software has a key lock, and if the RAM of your computer, the quality of your sound card, or a few other factors aren't up to snuff it will start distorting. When I was regularly spinning on CDs I'd notice a SLIGHT difference once I hit around 3.5%, so below that and you should be golden.

Also, keep in mind that not all transitions need to be beatmatched, so you aren't stuck at that one point. There are many mixing techniques (which have been spoken about on the forums ad nauseum) that you can use to change tempos.

Yes, you can do this, as was discussed, and the Audio4, as said, would be best.

This is perfectly fine. Use the CDJ pitch fader and map your Hercules to do whatever you want it to do.

Good luck
    @ DVL

HEHEHEH....Dude...you have def picked up some stuff from where you work.

Very methodical in approach.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Thanks again. So what this boils down to, for me at least it this. Either continue to sync the beats, or purchase CDJs a new soundcard and T Scratch. That's a lot of money, but I'd like to eventually get to that point.

I take it my the limitations, or the limitations with MIDI, that most users here mix externally. Would that be an accurate statement?
    KRK RP8sFG

All depends on what you wanna do...and the type of DJ you are.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

@Sarasin: Aw... you've just forgotten how crazy I am around here.

I mix internally and use Sync. I've also spent a LOT of time making sure almost every song in my DJ collection is gridded, locked and given cue points. But if I need to mix to an external signal, or the track isn't gridded, I have my jog wheels as my pitch fader. You can do this too with modifiers and have MUCH more accurate control than using the pitch faders, AND you'll have two more parameters to use for whatever the hell you want.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    @Sarasin: Aw... you've just forgotten how crazy I am around here.

I mix internally and use Sync. I've also spent a LOT of time making sure almost every song in my DJ collection is gridded, locked and given cue points. But if I need to mix to an external signal, or the track isn't gridded, I have my jog wheels as my pitch fader. You can do this too with modifiers and have MUCH more accurate control than using the pitch faders, AND you'll have two more parameters to use for whatever the hell you want.
    I am on the same page as you. ALL of my songs are beatgridded correctly, the key has been found and they are cued for different scenerios.

So to end all my ignorance on the subject, in order to get as close to beatmatching as possible, if I find myself needing to,
    1. what are the jog wheels set to in the controller manager? tempo bend, tempo, ect...?
    2. What would my modifiers, or two extra buttons be set to? Tempo?

Thank you again for all your help!
    KRK RP8sFG

I can't remember the command off the top of my head but I think it's tempo. Play around and find out, best way to do it.

And you'd pick your button and just have it shift the modifier so when it's on the jogs seek through and when it's off they control the pitch. There are a bunch of modifier guides around here.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Thanks again. I had two spare buttons for each deck, so I made them "tempo" and set them to "min". They are accurate to about .03. Not bad! I think with the combination of jog wheels, pitch faders and tempo buttons, beat matching shouldn't be too bad.

Someday though, I will get CDJs but that will be down the road.

Thanks again for the help!
    KRK RP8sFG

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast