New to DJ'ing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to DJ'ing

Tech Convert

Default New to DJ'ing

Hi,

I'm brand spanky new to the world of DJ'ing and after thinking for over a year about "I could make this track better" I've decided I want to get my myself into the game (for hobby purposes).

After looking at the various types of hardware available I think being a DDJ would be better for me as Vinyl is quite expensive and I'd prefer to have my music portable and record things I can just slap on my mp3 player.

so i need help choosing a mixer/decks combi unit yet I've got no clue which product I should go for.

I'm an absolute beginner, so I've just purchased How to DJ for dummies but I want an idea of the hardware I would need before purchasing.

I've been told I'd need something like a Behringer BCD3000 but then again I've been told it's not that good lol.

so something cheap that will help me into the world of DJ'ing.

Cheers

You have a few options:

Controllers:
    If you want to go all digital, go for a controller.

Options:
    Like you said, a BCD-3000 is good for a beginner, get one off e-bay for cheap, so if in a year you want to upgrade you can sell it again for cheap. Playing in a club with this one isn't really an option though.
    Cost: $100-$200

If you want to buy something that will serve you right for a few years, get a VCI-100(SE) and an Audio 2/4 You won't run out of option for this one for years to come. And it's nice to have an external card anyway. Personally I'd go for the Audio 4, since you'll also be able to use it with DVS.
    Cost: $500-$1000

CDJ:
    If you would like to learn playing with CDs, you could get a pioneer 350 kit: 2x CDJ-350 and a DJM-350. This is a very nice set. Combined with an Audio 4 you could use your laptop with traktor scratch and time-codes. They also accept usb-sticks and come with rekordbox, sou you can prepare a set on your laptop.
    Cost: +- $1900

A more expensive option would be getting some CDJ-1000s and a mixer. It is very hard to put a price on these though, since you can go MKII or MKIII and go new or second hand. If you get them second hand be sure to test them. Especially PLAY and CUE since some DJs really kill these buttons.

I hope this helps!

(PS: You could also wait and see what NI will be bringing soon!)

If you're on a really tight budget, I would recommend the M-Audio X-Session pro (~$100) (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/XSessionPro.html)

And the Numark DJIO (~$120) (http://www.numark.com/djio)

I don't do any DJing anymore, but I was pleased with both of them. Actually I now use both to produce and they still don't do me wrong.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    If you're on a really tight budget, I would recommend the M-Audio X-Session pro (~$100) (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/XSessionPro.html)

And the Numark DJIO (~$120) (http://www.numark.com/djio)

I don't do any DJing anymore, but I was pleased with both of them. Actually I now use both to produce and they still don't do me wrong.
    Wouldn't I need 2 decks as well though?

I'm a beginner so I'd want something that I can just familiarise myself with and get used to, then after a while, I could upgrade.

Wouldn't want to spend a lot on gear as I want some songs to mix with it , so £200 would be the max for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SiNNY View Post
    Wouldn't I need 2 decks as well though?

I'm a beginner so I'd want something that I can just familiarise myself with and get used to, then after a while, I could upgrade.

Wouldn't want to spend a lot on gear as I want some songs to mix with it , so £200 would be the max for me.
    Nope, you can control both decks with just the X-Session. The left side has volume, pitch, high, low, etc. controls for one deck, and the right side as the same controls for the other. However, you can actually set it up so that each knob controls whatever parameter you want (the "magic" of MIDI )
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Not sure what kind of music your into, but these should get you started with some music.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15902
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Not sure what kind of music your into, but these should get you started with some music.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15902
    I love Electro & Electro house but I also listen to Dubstep, Dance, Trance, drum and bass, Techno. I'm pretty diverse.

thanks for the link!

those tracks will keep me going for a while!
    Last edited by SiNNY; 08-03-2010 at 07:46 PM.

i recommend my setup if youre tight on cash

numark total control with dj storm eagles mapping for traktor pro
    and a djio sound card
    headphones can be what ever you like, but ive only heard good things about denon hp 1000 i personally own them as well

The new Numark Mixtrack plus a budget DJ soundcard (ebay...) would come in at just over 200GBP, and it's getting some very good reviews - great value for the money, and again no need for decks etc as it's a pure digital solution.
    I blog at: Digital DJ Tips and I'm on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Morse View Post
    The new Numark Mixtrack plus a budget DJ soundcard (ebay...) would come in at just over 200GBP, and it's getting some very good reviews - great value for the money, and again no need for decks etc as it's a pure digital solution.
    I really like the look of it, and if it's getting good reviews I may look into it. Cheers.

I've also got an X-Fi Gamer soundcard in my pc so it's no big deal if I don't have an inbuilt soundcard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast