Help with my set up... Please!
    Tech Student

Default Help with my set up... Please!

Hi. Im having a party soon and the last time I did this I blew up my 100watt speakers, so I am just wondering if anyone on here has a similar set up to me.

We couldn't run 2 seperate amps out from 1 laptop, so ran the 2 sets of speakers through the DA800 amp. This ended up blowing my smaller speakers. We were using a my friends Numark I/O sound card(If that helps at all)

I am running 2x100watt wharfdale diamond 9.1's with a CA A1 amp, Intimidation AKA115(pair) with a W-Audio DA800 Amplifier.

What I am aiming for is the treble running through the 100watt(pair) speakers and the bass running through the floor speakers (500watt). Any idea's?

As I said, I am running the system off a laptop, but have not got the external sound card yet. So I dont know whether a 2 channel (NI Audio 2) or 4(NI Audio 4) channel sound card is needed, or if this can be done safely, without the smaller 100 watt speakers catching on fire... again!

Many thanks

Sean.

Quite a mish mash of equipment you've got there.

Your best bet is to rent two powered speakers with a couple of tripods.

You'll have more overhead, and a cleaner sound.... they don't have to be SRM450's, even smaller JBL EON's will pound hard. Show up with some professional sounding (looking) gear, and you won't have to worry about failures, and you may even land more gigs.

btw, if you had an active crossover you could run both amps and all your speakers without blowing anything up. The power handling ratings for your speakers are very different, your 100 watt speakers didn't stand a chance.

If you're on a budget, the Behringer powered speakers do a pretty good job...just don't abuse them and they should be fine for mobile gigging. The ease and simplicity of having powered speakers does wonders for the end of night pack up too.

Tech Convert

either some form of crossover or get amps that have a pass through for daisy chaining amps.
    failing that use an rca Y adapter and split the mixer RCA output into 2, 1 for each amp

Tech Student

Thanks for the replies. Any sugestions on active crossovers? any links at all?

Also Nosf, do you know what Behringer speakers you would recommend, on a budget?

Many thanks!