Beginner DJ Equipment - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

A lot of this depends on what you want to do. A couple of thoughts:

-the vci-300 is a nice piece, but not worth the cash IMHO-ur looking at 1100-1200 if u want to add effects later w/ itch-plus, although it has a built-in soundcard, reviews indicate it is less than stellar in that dept;

-i have a vci-100SE, and love it, although the set-up is a little more involved than out-of-the-box alternatives + u need an external soundcard (I have an audio 4 dj);

-the xone dx or perhaps the new NI controller seem like good "all in one" options-4 channels, add'l inputs, onboard legit soundcard-and the new NI controller may come in at about the same cost as the vci-300-but u prob have to wait until late oct-nov;

-u don't need to drop a ton of cash on cdjs to learn how to beat match-if u learn on any cd player-tabletop, rackmount, whatever (and, for that matter, most/some controllers)-u will be able to match on cdjs no prob the first time;

-but, whatever controller/player u get, I strongly urge u to learn how to match-it will prove infinitley valuable to u in ur dj career-

Good luck + have fun!

Id hold out for the new NI controller for shiz-ay...
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Guru

I learned with MIDI...
    If you know the music mixing theory you don't need to play analog to learn how to DJ...
    Play analog is like drive a car with manual transmisson, it's harder, unconfortable, more chances to miss, it put a limit on your control but it feels more sportive, it's more cool, etc...
    Someday all cars will have an automatic transmisson because this is the way to go. We all will be the same.
    Just go straight at mixing with midi and you will be allright if you always bring your setup with you and if you have a really reliable hardware.

I have two korg nanoKontrols and a oxygen 8 v2, I mapped everything to traktor pro. All my tracks are properly beatgridded and I use the sync button everytime I'm cueing my next track. I play mainly psytrance and some tech/electro house too.

Tech Convert

Okay so I think I made a choice...
    I can buy from my friend a used Numark DJ I/O soundcard for 70 euro and a VCI-100 for 400 euro which means for 470 euro I'll have a complete set to start mixing right ?

And once I get the real DJ feeling after maybe a few years
    I can sell these and buy a Xone: XD or Xone: 4D or maybe something newer cause right now it looks kinda difficult to handle for me all those buttons
    And I can learn by my friend to dj with cds cause he got the whole set but dont wanna sell it he also said midi djing is fake but I didnt believe thats why I started this thread

Would this be a good option for me or you just prefer something else cause I guess no one wants to spend 470 euro and find out later it was all a waste of money
    Last edited by Darkco; 08-10-2010 at 12:17 PM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Sounds like a good plan to me, you'll just need software.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

A used stock VCI-100 for 400 eruos sounds a bit on the expensive side TBH... but I guess if he's your friend he'll let you play with it to make sure everything is good to go right?

Tech Convert

No, I buy the VCI-100 stock version (black) for 400 euro new in the shop
    but the soundcard Numark I/O for 70 euro from my friend it is normally 130 euro sound like a good deal right and yeah ofc I will check if the soundcard works properly else I throw a stone in his window with a little letter with "I want my money back fool"

But you guys think its a wise choice buying this ?
    Last edited by Darkco; 08-10-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Tech Guru

The Xone DX is nice and all, I can see how people can dislike the lack of touch sensitive platters. The way I used my CDJ-1000's matched how you have to use the Xone DX so that works out (when a track is playing, the platters pitch bend, and when a track is stopped - it does scratching/scrubbing).

The soundcard on this thing is absolutely nuts. Fucking loud, clean...in all honesty, I'm gonna miss this thing just for that alone lol.

However, what the hell was Allen & Heath thinking by not adding in a power switch. I mean really, how hard would it have been lmao.

On the flipside, it's super easy to turn this thing into a regular DJ mixer by switching to pass through mode (a press of 2 buttons does this function).

Also, it's Traktor Scratch Pro friendly. Buy two SL-1200's, throw on some timecode, and let it rip.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123