Beginner DJ Equipment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Beginner DJ Equipment

Hi There,

So im a just started DJ and made some remixes with mouse and keyboard but as you know you lack the speed etc. to make really good mixes.
    So this is why im interested in buying a midi controller.

I did do some research on the web for like 3 days but there are so many damn midi controllers I cant decide anymore whats good and whats bad...
    I currently own decent speakers, professional headphone and a HP dv-6 laptop with windows 7 64bit which is pretty fast cause its 3-month-old laptop. Anyway back to the point which midi controller would suit me the best?
    Im not used to any software yet.

I was think about the VCI-100 cause you can modify it and find allot of information about it on this website. Or maybe the VCI-300 cause I see allot of people on youtube making great mixes with it.
    Anyway my goal is to start mixing as a bedroom-DJ and uploading my songs on youtube but slowly as I grow start mixing in clubs and bars with the same
    equipment!

So what do you guys think that is the best midi controller for me ?
    Im sure you guys got allot more experience then I have atm hehe.

Thanks

-Darkco

PS: Money is not the problem

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

If money is no object I'd say get the VCI-100 arcade edition if you want to use Traktor or a Xonex if you want to use Serato.

But that's the first big decision. Which software do you want?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

Just bought the Xone DX and its right next to me. It's an alright unit, but it lacks fundamental features so Im pawning it for $700 on craigslist lmao.

Honestly, the VCI-300 is great for precision and that real feel you get with a good CD deck. Or if you want to buy an actual mixer, pickup the Numark V7 which thus far is about as close as youre going to get to vinyl with a MIDI controller.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the fast replies,

Well like I said im a just beginner DJ so I think when buying expensive equipment like Xone DX or Numark V7 would be a little overkill if you keep in mind I just started DJing.

I really dont care which software to use cause I gotta learn and pratice anyway but traktor looks to have more functions and easier to modify then ITCH but I can be wrong.
    Anyway its just a hard decision to make cause there are really much midi controllers like I said.

Tech Convert

If I were you, just starting out, I'd rather buy a couple CDJ200 and a DJM-400 and just practice DJing with CD decks first. You'll learn a lot before jumping to the midi and efx stuff by doing everything analog first.

Quote Originally Posted by LG84 View Post
    If I were you, just starting out, I'd rather buy a couple CDJ200 and a DJM-400 and just practice DJing with CD decks first. You'll learn a lot before jumping to the midi and efx stuff by doing everything analog first.
    i dont know how much the cdj 200s cost, but i know the 400s have native support for serato, so that might be a plus

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LG84 View Post
    +1

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by theory28 View Post
    i dont know how much the cdj 200s cost, but i know the 400s have native support for serato, so that might be a plus
    The set is 929 euro affordable for me, but I dont know it looks like I will buy old stuff. I mean lets face it vinyl and cds kinda had there time dont you think.
    Digital is the new generation which includes me cause im only 18 and the vci-100 is way cheaper then the whole set.

But I can be wrong ofc I mean you guys sure got allot more experience then me but so far I could make pretty cool mixes with Virtual DJ by using mouse and keyboard... But once again I can be wrong and maybe buying the set is the best option to really start spinnin and learning
    Last edited by Darkco; 08-09-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Darkco View Post
    The set is 929 euro affordable for me, but I dont know it looks like I will buy old stuff. I mean lets face it vinyl and cds kinda had there time dont you think.
    Digital is the new generation which includes me cause im only 18 and the vci-100 is way cheaper then the whole set.

But I can be wrong ofc I mean you guys sure got allot more experience then me but so far I could make pretty cool mixes with Virtual DJ by using mouse and keyboard...
    Ok my question is are you doing this just for fun or do you really want to DJ? The old stuff is what regular clubs still uses most of the time. So getting experinces with them will help you in the long run. There are times when your computer crashes and you'll actually have to play a song using a CDJ waiting for your computer to reboot, and mixing by counting bars and beat matching by ear is so important just in case you want to drop this sick new song that you haven't done proper homework on.

At least start out with one CDJ and the mixer, you can use your computer as the 2nd deck.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I would say buy the Xone DX mmauve is getting rid of and load mapping for it into Traktor.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast